Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to bring another dog into our family. I currently have a beagle lab mix that I keep outside but I am looking for a 25lb or less dog I can keep inside. I need a dog that is fairly calm but at the same time enjoys hiking, kayaking , and camping. I am unsure of what breed I should look for so any recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hi, I am looking to bring another dog into our family. I currently have a beagle lab mix that I keep outside but I am looking for a 25lb or less dog I can keep inside. I need a dog that is fairly calm but at the same time enjoys hiking, kayaking , and camping. I am unsure of what breed I should look for so any recommendations are welcome!
Do you take your beagle/lab hiking etc? What about the weight limit matters in terms of being a dividing line for keeping a dog inside? I mean, a beagle/lab is pretty much the description of a dog that is likely to enjoy hiking, water, camping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I take him with me . He loves it. I was just wanting a smaller dog to keep inside that i could take also. I live in a very small house. My beagle/lab is actually about the size of a lab and he was not happy being in the house at night and resorted to destructive behaviour . Yes I know a small dog can do the same but it is easier for me to maintain a smaller dog indoors .

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Yes I take him with me . He loves it. I was just wanting a smaller dog to keep inside that i could take also. I live in a very small house. My beagle/lab is actually about the size of a lab and he was not happy being in the house at night and resorted to destructive behaviour . Yes I know a small dog can do the same but it is easier for me to maintain a smaller dog indoors .
Eeh, size doesn't matter for dogs inside excluding landlord regulations. Large dogs are just as fine indoors as small dogs. Small dogs can be just as destructive or more so than large dogs. If your dog is destructive inside, work on training and exercise and containment. My two are over 50 lbs each and my house is under 900 sf.

For a second dog, pick one that fits the household dynamics. Exercise level, age, shedding/grooming, ability to be around other dogs or cats, and other such traits are more important than size. What are you looking for in a dog other than one that likes walking/outdoors because very few dogs don't like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would prefer short hair and fairly low maintenance. I had considered a dachshund but I know they are prone to back issues that may prevent alot of outdoor activity .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts