Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Happy new year!!!

Now, on to the problem at hand. We took Herrick to get his sanitary clip at the groomer's yesterday morning and ever since we came back, he's been trying to scoot on the carpet like crazy! I called the vet and he told me to check his stool, just to make sure that he didn't have any worms in it, which he doesn't. He doesn't have fleas or ticks, and he said that it was probably because he got clipped. He's never done this before and we've been trying to get him to stop because that area is a bit red. We went out and got him an anti-itch spray that has aloe vera and does not sting. We used it on him already and it hasn't helped. He doesn't want to eat or drink and he just wants to sleep. It seems as if he is scared, especially since he runs away when we call him over. We haven't yelled at him or hit him or anything like that, but I am worried about him and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced something like this? The main concern I have is his bum, like I mentioned, it looks irritated and I don't want him to scoot and make it worse, which is why we're stopping him when he does it. Currently, he's in his crate, which he's been in pretty much all day; he doesn't want to come out and if he does come out, he runs back in after a few seconds. I'm so worried, please, any suggestions would help! Thank you!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, she expressed his anal glands, which is why I'm thinking that can't be it. The vet told me that he's probably just itchy and that's what the groomer told me when I called her, but he's never done it this much.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes, she expressed his anal glands, which is why I'm thinking that can't be it. The vet told me that he's probably just itchy and that's what the groomer told me when I called her, but he's never done it this much.
Well, I asked because I wondered if she may have injured his glands or something similar when she tried to express them? Most dogs don't actually -need- to have their anal glands expressed and from what I've read, it usually causes more harm than good. (like they then become incapable of expressing them naturally and will always need them expressed) Maybe check with the vet to see if something could have gone wrong when she did his glands?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you don't think I was being rude, because I wasn't. Thank you for your advice. We actually took him to the vet today because he kept scooting and his area was red, it looked as if it was chafed. The vet told us that his anal glands were fine but that whoever had given him the sanitary cut had clipped him too short. He gave us an ointment to put on him and said to keep using the spray. We paid almost $150 and we went to the groomer and talked to her. Apparently, the woman that always clips him was busy and a new groomer clipped him. I explained what happened and said that it was unfair that this had happened and that I was angry that they hurt such a sensitive spot. Long story short, they paid the vet bill and I'm so relieved that Herrick is doing fine now. The ointment and the spray have helped so much that he's eating and playing like normal. Once again, thank you for your advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts