Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I could really use some advice. I received a Pomeranian from a friend of my mother's. They could no longer care for the little guy and after puppy sittitng for them for a week we decided to take him in.

First a little background. We already have a Jack Russell and they got along wonderfully. Gizmo, the Pom, is about 9 months old as far as we can guess and has not been neutered, though we plan to get that done as soon as we return from vacation. He has been with us for about 2 weeks now. The first week or so he was a normal happy puppy. When we puppy sat before and the first week we both went to work around 7am and returned around 4pm. He was walked before we left and immediately let out when we got home.

Thursday the problem began. When I got home he seemed to cower away from me ears and tail tucked. I picked him up and he began to very loudly bark*wimper*cry and generally freak out. I immediately put him down and began looking for injuries thinking he may have somehow hurt himself. He is not injured. My BF came home about an hour later and in that time he had mellowed out a a bit. The next day was the same thing, only it lasted longer before he mellowed out. Here we are today and he has been acting scared all day and does the bark*wimper*cry thing at every movement I make. I took him for a walk and he wimpered when the grass moved! He eats and uses the bathroom, but freaks out all the time. You would think we had been beating him or something! I really don't know what to think. He was fine a week ago and now he barely lets us near him and when he does all he does is cry and shake.

Does anyone have any advice? I am taking him to the vet tomorrow (they are closed today...but I am really confused right now! Help!

P.S. I know for a fact he was not previously abused so that is not the problem.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm glad you're taking him to the vet.

The first thing that occurred to me is a delayed reaction to the move to your house. Yes, he was with you for a week, but now he knows he's staying and he's getting used to things.

Another possibility: could something have happened between the two dogs while you were away? Maybe they are getting along when you're around but not so much when you're not?

Just some ideas. Hopefully other members will share their thoughts.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
How housebroken is he?

It's possible that i the past he has been punished after someone arrives home, either for being destructive or for having potty accidents. This can set up a pattern of person coming home = bad thing. Any chance it's something like that?

Good on the vet visit - that's the best place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do believe that is could just be that he has finally realized this is not a vacation and it is permanent. My only major concern at this point is we are leaving for a cruise Saturday! We have someone house sitting, but I am so scared this is going to damage him more. And we cannot board him as he is not yet neutered and the earliest appointment is not until we get back. So we are kinda stuck. Granted I am sure his previous owners would watch him, but I just think that would be worse in the long run. It has to be too soon for him to be around them again, he will never learn that way.

He is not left alone with the other dog as I deemed it to soon for them to be alone together with no supervision. My other dog stays outside and plays with her brother who shares the backyard (he is the neighbors dog) so I don't think anything happened between them. He also does not go outside with the other dogs without supervision as the neighbors dog is about 15lbs larger and way hyper active. We also take him on walks on his own so he is active.

I am not completely sure about his previous owners and how they house trained him. After a couple of accidents the first couple of days he has been waiting to go outside to potty. I have asked my mother to talk to the previous owners and see what they have to say. Perhaps they have some answers but to my knowledge they never even yelled at him, just spoiled him rotten. Maybe that is the issue, he is not getting the same treatment as we do not constantly coddle our dogs.

As an update he cowered under the bed for 3 hours last night and everytime I tried to touch him he screamed. When I left for an hour I came home to torn up books and destroyed shoes! This is the first sign of destructive behavior so I guess it is getting worse. I still think it is anxiety and not an injury, but I want to rule that out. So off to the vet today and hopefully she can shed some light on the subject and offer some help! Maybe medication and training along with more socialization will help? I was at my wits end yesterday caught between irritation and misery because I have this huge soft heart for animals and I just hate to see him so scared!

As an end note, I have not been yelling at him or anything as I do not think negative reinforcement is a good thing at this point and I have been trying not to coddle him when he cries. If I pick him up and he is quiet, I will love on him for a few minutes but if he screams I immediately put him down and ignore him. Most of the time he just runs away and hides from me. I hope I doing the right thing for now!

Thanks for the advice, I am so nervous about this whole thing as I have never had these kind of problems before. Abby, our Jack Russell, was also a re-home but she took to us and her new home wonderfully. :eek:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Do you crate the puppy when you are out? I am a new puppy owner myself (not a whole lot of experience LOL) but our puppy was not crate trained from her previous owners (we think) but I find she likes her space (now LOL) and we give her a treat in her crate when we leave her (she had huge anxiety when we left, I considered that maybe she need some medication, but didnt want to do that)...maybe if your dog was crate trained you could start bringing it a treat when you get home and leave the crate door open (when you come home) for it to come out when its ready? Myabe the puppy would like a space of its own to feel secure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Thanks for the responses and the advice. My mom contacted the previous owners and when they were told about his behavior they were very concerned and decided to take him back. They did not want to give him up to begin with but thought he would be happier with a more secure environment. Upon seeing his "people" again Gizmo was back to his happy self again. Everyone seems happier this way and the dog is no longer freaking out! He will be going over the road with one of his "people" and I think it will suit both of them fine as he was very upset without Gizmo. I will miss the little guy, but it just wasn't meant to be. I have to admit it maks me nervous about adoption, but there are so many lovable animals that need a good home I am sure we will find the perfect addition to out family soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts