Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tidbit and Monkey did fine when they got their collars. Tidbit had no reaction whatsoever and Monkey just scratches at it from time to time. This is all I've ever seen before - no biggie.

Shawn on the other hand thinks he is dying. He runs around screaming like he's being attacked, then he falls over on his side and lays there whining. I tried loving on him and taking the collar off and then putting it back on. I then tried coaxing him around the room with pupperoni. That worked for only about 4 minutes. He would get up to come get the treat and would take and eat the treat but as soon as he feels the collar (I guess) he yelps and falls to the ground or paws at his neck/face.

Then, like 4 minutes after that, he decided to just lay on his side and not move a muscle like he's paralyzed and he would no longer come to me to take a treat. I even tried to toss a treat to him but purposefully landing it inches away from his face. He wouldn't even lift his head, he would just stare at it and whine. I walked away to see if after another minute or two he would calm down. He just immediately ran into their open crate, laid down, cried, and is now asleep.

Though he's asleep, I'm about to leave the house so I'm going to take the collar back off and try again later. Never once have I seen a puppy or dog react like this! Is there anything else I can do to help him adjust to his collar?

Things that might matter:
He's 4 months, 1 week old.
He's got medium length fur.
There's only one tag on the collar, his rabies.
The collar is on the second notch. Third would be too loose, first would be a bit more snug.

Out of all the puppies, he was/is the most outgoing pup. I can't believe a collar has torn him down! :jaw:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Izze hated her collars too but she did yet tore them off, like literally shredded them. So I decided to have her not wear a collar I have her rabies on my car keys as a key chain, the pup always wears one bc she isn't as trustworthy as Izze but the only time Izze wears one is when she leaves the house. What about doing that? Showing him that a collar on means he is going somewhere FUN! I'm not a huge fan of collar on all the time anyway.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Does he object to you touching all around where a collar sits? It's possible the collar really is hurting him. Aside from that, maybe a harness would work better for this dog. There's no reason not to use a harness, unless you've got a northern breed made for pulling sleds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For the beginning, put the collar on when you're about to do something fun. Put it on him when he goes outside. I don't know if you have a 'treat' time - we give all out dogs a treat at night... just cause. If you did something like that, put his collar on and don't give him his treat until he calms down.
When putting the collar on, be very cuddly and talk sweet to him, and when he acts out, ignore him. Loving on him when he's acting out might be seen as praising him for complaining about the collar. When he calms down while wearing the collar, love on him and talk sweet to him again.

I know a lot of people who don't believe in their dogs wearing collars all the time, but we have a fenced in yard and it's too much of a hassle to put the collars on every time they want to go out and take them off every time we bring them in. My dogs have always worn collars with no problems.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Izze hated her collars too but she did yet tore them off, like literally shredded them. So I decided to have her not wear a collar I have her rabies on my car keys as a key chain, the pup always wears one bc she isn't as trustworthy as Izze but the only time Izze wears one is when she leaves the house. What about doing that? Showing him that a collar on means he is going somewhere FUN! I'm not a huge fan of collar on all the time anyway.
I don't intend to keep Shawn & Monky, I hopping to eventually adopt them out, so I was wanting to get a collar for them to put their tags on. Also, would like to get over the collar fear in case the new family wants a collar on him, that way I'm not handing over a dog with an issue. ~That's not really sounding how I want it to, do you know what I mean?

For the longest time I never put collars on my dogs until we headed out. And actually my dogs really "shared" collars. But then I got into the habit of keeping collars on them all the time. Due to the sharing a collar thing, I still need to buy 3 of them their own collar. As for the tags, I used to do what you're doing. I had all the tags on a key chain in my car. (On a seperate key ring - too many dogs for my car keys, lol.) Another thing is now that they all have a city lisence, I suppose I have to keep that tag on them at all times for incase they got loose - otherwise I guess I'd be fined even more should they not have it on them. ...Not that my dogs get out but just in case.

Does he object to you touching all around where a collar sits? It's possible the collar really is hurting him. Aside from that, maybe a harness would work better for this dog. There's no reason not to use a harness, unless you've got a northern breed made for pulling sleds.
No he's fine with anything else touching his neck, or anywhere on his body. He's even fine with the tether, that goes around his neck, that I use in the bathtub. I think it's the fact that it's "stuck" on him - just guessing though. I can try a harness but I'm afraid he'd get a limb or tooth or something caught in it when he spazzes.

I went ahead and left it on him while he was sleeping. He would wake up, readjust, and go back to sleep. Right before I left I got him to walk to me a couple of times. He whimpered a bit and a one-time-paw at it so he was doing better. I still took it off before I left. (Left later than expected to.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
when i got my misty at 3months i put a collar on her but i did this for cuple weeks and she just gave up... but when i put on her we would go for her walks... but i perfer the harness anyways... my puppy runs and hides when we get her jacket out... and now i just put on her for for her nap times and when we go out and now she is okay with it.. puppies are fun.. but maybe its the matrial that bugging him..... just hold your ground and your puppy well realize its not something that isnt going to hurt him/her..

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I had a dog almost choke when their collar got caught on something while I was home mind you (I previously just took them off when I left) since that day I don't keep collars on at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just have an issues with hanging tags on collars, but I haven't had any problems with just the collars. We get the collars that have the information sewn onto it. I had one dog that was an escape artist and knew when someone new was coming in the house and would try to get past them and out the door. You could train this dog perfectly, but once he smelled something outside, he wouldn't be bothered to listen to anything. That's why we have to keep his collar on, and it's just nicer with the other dogs, just in case they get out of the yard.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I went ahead and left it on him while he was sleeping. He would wake up, readjust, and go back to sleep. Right before I left I got him to walk to me a couple of times. He whimpered a bit and a one-time-paw at it so he was doing better. I still took it off before I left. (Left later than expected to.)
Pup's adjusting, now you must.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I agree with not leaving collars on dogs especially with hanging tags. It is really surprising what they can get them hooked on. Some people get away with it for years but there just has to be that one time that it gets hooked through something, the dog panics and ends up hurting themselves or worse still, hanging themselves.

I don't know if you can get their license attached to their collar so it does not dangle. We don't have dog licensing where I am but if I had to, I would figure out someway of riveting it to the collar so it is flat to the collar.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I never leave a collar/harness on my dog at home. Just like I take my jacket off, I take off the collar. They are likely less comfortable than being in the buff, and many times jingle because of one or multiple tags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The rabies tag might have to come off. maybe buy a thinner profile collar that's less noticeable? Harness would be my third guess right off the bat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts