Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I am a seasoned owner but got a new pup-- and all things are new again!
So heres the situation-- bought some babyback ribs (too many) and cut off a chunk for each of my 3 dogs-- but the pup (a new breed for me) gulped his down not a single chomp! Luckily it was raw, but it was 4 inches long and a bit narrow about the width of 2 pencils.. This was Sunday and its Monday-- hes had 3 poops 2 soft ones Sunday and a nice formed one today. He is a 33lb 14 week old Bernese Mt dog puppy, I am just wondering how long I have to wait for the all clear-- hes fine active eating and playful ( I know dogs empty their stomach very quickly-- but how long til it passes or will it really dissolve in the intestinal tract....)

Also quick query on puppy vaccs-- hes had 7- 9- 12 week shots-- but do we really need a 4th set at 16weeks?
We do live in the heart of the Haight - Ashbury 1 block from Golden Gate Park-- unfortuantly lots of unvaccinated Homeless pups and high Dog traffic regardless (although I walk at the Beach 5 days a week which IS safer I think)...
thanks Folks pls Help

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't think you can know for sure if it's fully dissolved or if it's damaged his stomach at all without getting an x-ray done. There was someone on another raw feeding forum who just had to have a venison rib bone pulled out of their dogs stomach several days after they ate it whole because it wasn't dissolving. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Usually the 16 week shots is the rabies which by law you need to get almost everywhere in the U.S..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vet said to monitor for any discomfort and so far there isnt any, I will def bring him in if he starts showing signs (vomiting poor appetite lethargy bloody stools or straining at stools-- one of my dogs was straining and I helped her "deliver " half a frisbee no JOKE) --also on the vaccines I mean the standard DHLPP ( distemper hepatitis leptospirosis Parvo aand I forget what the last P is for...) of course he will get his Rabies but I am wondering does he really need a 4th DHLPP as he has 3 already? He will be 15 weeks on TH and got his last shot at 12 weeks-- thanks for your prompt reply however -- now I know the darn bone can get stuck and be a problem for days after.....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I agree with Gally You just never know. X-rays will help to see if everything is okay in the inside. I know of a dog (bull terrier) that had a plastic toy in its stomach for a couple of months. Dog was still eating and acting goofy. His owner reported that every once and awhile he would spit up some food. The vet did exploratory surgery and found the toy in the dog's stomach. She said the toy smelled so bad. They had saved it for her to see and even washed it off. She said it still smelled bad. She remembers the exact day the dog ate it too. She spent all day looking for it and it was her husband's birthday. That is how she remembered the day by her husband's b-day.

yep always better to play it safe instead of taking chances and than catch yourself saying "I should have" thing.

The last shot prob is the rabies shot. Another instance of "I should have" before you could be issued a ticket for no vaccines or tags.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There was a dog on TV that had 8 golf balls stuck in his stomach. The oldest had been in there at least a year. The dog showed no symptoms at all, they only took him in because they finally saw him eat a golf ball.

As I understand vaxxes and puppies, the reason you do them so many times is that there's no way to tell when the natural immunity from the mother has worn off. If you vaxx before that, it doesn't take all the way, so you have to vax several times to make sure the vax took. Really, better safe than sorry with Parvo.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The last puppy vaccine needs to be given after 16 weeks. It doesn't matter how many/few he had before, he still needs one after that age or you can't be sure that he has full immunity.

As for the rib, I think your vet has the right idea. Just keep an eye on him and call if anything seems off.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think it's best to get the 4th one. If you really didn't want to you could titer to see if the first three were effective? I don't know that much about titering, just learning about it myself so not sure if it would be an accurate test at this early stage. Personally I got all 4, then we are doing the booster at 1 year and then just rabies after that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would monitor for blood in the stool but bones are digested. Raw diets are very popular. I think this too shall pass. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys he does seem perfectly OK-- but will continue to monitor-- poops lookin good... And I think I will go ahead and get a 4th set of DHPP at 16/17 weeks ( I think I will get the Lepto separately but with his Rabies at 19 or 20 weeks...The Mobile clinic Vet is part of a study at UC Davis and says Leptospirosis is actually highest in California in San Mateo and San Francisco counties-- my home county !).. It seems safer that way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts