Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So, we picked out a puppy 2 weeks ago from our breeder. We met him and noticed he was whiny. The breeder says that he was always the most vocal of the 7 puppies. That one one of the reasons I hesitated picking him. So, i just watched a new video of the pup and noticed again he was sooooo whiny! What am I getting myself into? Is this something that can be changed? Help. I'm nervous and a 1st time puppy owner. Advice on choosing a really whiny puppy would be great.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife claims I wanted to get rid of our first puppy because he whined incessantly. That's not how I remember it, but whatever, he got over it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Puppies whine. It's okay. He's just been separated from his mother and litter, so he's probably stressed and scared and needs some time to settle. Ignore the whining. The puppy will learn that nothing comes of it. It may take a couple of months, honestly.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
What was the puppy doing in both situations? If he was just sitting around whining, you may (or may not) have a pretty 'squeaky' dog in the future. If it was when they were all rushing to greet you, or during play, that's totally normal. All dogs and puppies handle arousal and excitement differently. Some dogs are more whiny than others and I have met a few dogs who default whine when nothing is going on. Though I will say, it is hard to say how much of that was reinforced.

I think you can definitely teach most, if not all, healthy and sound puppies to be quiet. But it may be more work with this particular puppy, depending on certain factors.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Also, keep in mind that you will very likely have to deal with whining, shrieking, barking, yowling, yipping, howling and all sorts of fun sounds for the first few weeks of having a new puppy in your home, regardless of how vocal or silent it was at the breeders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. The first tikme we met him he was with my husband and I, the breeder the guardian mom and 4 other puppies. So he wasn't alone. The other puppies never made a sound. He just kinda whined at the door. In the videos he was with his littermates and the guardian moms daughter. He just seemed so not playful and whiny. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm interested in the "not playful" part. Was this little guy just staying away while his four littermates played, crying and watching from a distance?

Maybe this is just a shy puppy, who will really come into his own once he is an only dog. Or maybe there is something else going on...I might ask the breeder specifically about the not being playful part, and ask what s/he thinks that may mean. I know there was a more shy/less playful girl in my puppy's litter who was so sweet, crawled right into my lap when I went to visit at 6 weeks and fell asleep...but the breeder let me know right then and there that I shouldn't get my heart set on her. There was another home on the waiting list with a woman who worked from home, and she considered them to be a much better choice for the shy puppy.

We were matched instead with a more confident puppy, which comes with issues on its own. ;) Prinna doesn't need anyone or anything (except that one time that she saw lightning for the first time) and is definitely not shy or demure! If it helps, she was a quiet puppy but she sure found her voice as the weeks went by! So these things can change for sure. :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts