Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well my boxer puppy has these random spurts of diarrhea. it's been like this for the past few days. everytime i start to think maybe it's getting better, he proves me wrong. he's usually really good about not going to the bathroom inside. sometimes he'll pee here and there, but never poops inside. but today has been a different story. he's had multiple accidents inside the house, and it's suprising to me because he goes to the bathroom when i have him outside, and these accidents happen only a few minutes after he comes back in from doing his business. its almost like he just cant control it. i noticed that he did eat some of my other dog's (she's grown and eats kibbles and bits) food, and maybe that could've triggered the diarrhea, but also (as i've said in another post that no one's answered yet...lol) i've found a few red circles on him that resemble ringworm so if those are ringworm that could also be the cause of the diarrhea. I have an appointment set up for him with the vet this week, but i was hoping that maybe there is something that i could do or give him that would help him out until then? something to calm down this whole diarrhea thing because i know it cant be too comfortable for him, and i really hate having to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Puppies have sensitive stomachs & should be fed what they have been fed at the breeders. When I got my pup the breeder gave me a bag of the kibble that she had been on. It you want to change the food he's eating it has to be done very slowly to avoid tummy upsets. So it could be one of 2 things, you've changed his food cold turkey of it is in fact his eating the other dogs food. There's usually instructions on the bags how to change over to a different food.
Puppy can't control their bladders or bowels until they are older & its up to you to teach him where you want him to go. He should be taken out after eating/drinking, sleeping, playing & every hour in between. He's a baby just like a human baby.
He shouldn't be allowed any freedom in the house, you must watch him at all times & if you can't he should be in an easily cleaned room with only his bed, food & water bowls & a toilet area. If you go to the link I gave in your other post you'll find when you download the book what a short & longterm confinement areas look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsSsxU12xGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXXfKzZ2oc&feature=related

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He cannot control it, he is sick! Move your appointment up for the vet to see him sooner as this has been going on for a while.

Classic way to treat diarrhea is to fast for at least 12 hours with only water and then feed tiny amounts of bland food. Boil chicken and rice together until good and mushy and feed a spoonful every couple hours after the fast. If things don't settle down after a day of this then it is more than the change of food.

Pick up the other dog's food, that is certainly not helping!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts