Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 American Eskimo puppies that are 15 weeks old. They were doing very well in the crates but have now begun to potty in the crates. I don't understandy why they are now doing that. I make sure they potty before they go into the crates and they are not in for very long at a given time. Today, the little girl puppy peed all over her toys that were in the crate. I am surprised that she did that.

The next issue is that I will let them out to potty and they will eliminate outside. Within minutes of going back into the the house, they pee on the floor. I have mopped my floor more in the short time I have had them than the entire 4 years I have lived in my house. I'm very glad that I don't carpet!

I have tried all tactics that I am aware of- reward, praise for going outside. They are not unsupervised in the house. As soon as I see them beginning to pee, I grab them, say no and put them outside in the grass.

I have been at this for about 5 weeks now and I am getting tired. I would love to hear suggestions. My questions are:

1. How long should this take? I know it varies by dog but on average what am I looking at?

2. Should I also be using puppy pads, perhaps putting those in the crates?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppies won't have fully developed bladder and bowel control until about 6 months of age. Until then, you need to take them out every hour. A common problem is that puppies often don't finish going on the first try as they get easilly distracted. That's why they often finish a few minutes later in the house.

The crates need to be completely cleaned with an enzyme cleaner. Putting pads in the crate defeats the whole potty training process. That teaches them that it's OK to go in there and also to go potty in the house.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Potty training takes a long time. It can take anywhere between one to six months for a dog to be fully potty-trained, depending on how consistent you are. Some dogs have accidents in the house for up to a year...that's not uncommon at all.

How long are they spending in their crates? They shouldn't be in there for more than three hours at a time right now.

How often do they eat, and at what time?

Do not put puppy pads in the crates. I would not use pads at all. Use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the crates so they don't recognise their scent and soil their crates again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering my questions. It is very helpful to know that the process can indeed take longer than I initially thought.

During the day during the week, they spend about 3 hours at a time in their crates. I go home at lunch to let them out and go home early in the afternoon to let them out.

They eat 2 meals per day, in the morning at 8:00 a.m. and in the evening at 6:00 p.m. They will have a "snack" when I am at home at lunch and again around 11:00 p.m. They always poop about 30 minutes after they eat. I don't a problem with that taking place in the house. They pretty much do that on queue. I take them out and tell them to go potty. They will urinate. Then I tell them to go potty again. They will do the other at that point. But, I will take them back into the house and they are likely to urinate again right away wherever they are standing.

If the little girl dog soils her crate, she whines. I hear her at 5:00 a.m. each day and get up to let her out. I let the little boy puppy out at that time too. I stay up until about 1:30 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. and let them out before I go to bed. Unless it is play time, I let them out separately otherwise they will play instead of going to potty.

The little girl puppy held her bladder from 2:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. I let her out at 5:00 a.m. and she urinated. Later this morning, I let her out at 7:00 a.m. and she urninated again. Then, around 7:30 a.m., she urinated inside on the floor while I had my back turned. That is the part I don't get - why they can hold it but then when they are not confined, they go where ever they are.

Thanks for the advice on the puppy pads and enzyme cleaner. I will not use pads and will definitely get some enzyme cleaner today.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track! Just try to keep up what you're doing and not get too discouraged.

Corona was about a year and a half old before I felt confident that she wouldn't go in the house (she was fine in my home, but I worried about her in other people's homes if I went to visit friends etc). It sounds like a LONG time, but try to remember how young they still are and know that they WILL get the hang of it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts