Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old male lab pit mix. I am having the worst time potty training him. I have a 1.5 year old female and never had these kind of issues so im seeking advice. The pup pees ALL the time. We were told to limit his drinking to when he eats to see if that helps, it did a little. I tired the reward system and he would pee a small amount just to get the treat so I stopped. I tried the ringing of the bells, doesn't help. I had him checked for a uti, he's healthy as can be. So im lost. I am crate training him and he pees in there every time. I caught him licking it up today. You could take him out for an hour and the moment we get in, he pees on the floor. Someone recently mentioned feeding him in his cage, nope doesn't work. I feel like my home now smells like urine. I'm beyond frustrated and I don't know what else to do. I take him out every hour, I say pots so he's familiar with the word, I praise him when he does go out and does use the bathroom outside, his crate is the correct size, he is alone for a max of 3-4 hours when we have to go to work. Just typing this he has peed twice and he just isn't learning. Any advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Puppies pee a lot, you have to go out on a potty break frequently, every 15-30 minutes. Praise him excessively, excitedly once he relieves himself. Time will be your best friend his body grows his bladder will too. Accidents happen!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
He peed twice within the time you typed that? Goodness he's got a full bladder. My yorkie who's 10 weeks old doesn't nearly pee as much and he gets unlimited water throughout the day. I would have to agree with MDW4life about taking him out every 15-30 minutes on leash. If you haven't tried yet get the spray that eliminates the odor of where he's previously peed so he could stop going in his crate. If he can't seem to hold his bladder for long you might have to consider putting a puppy pads in there with him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My pup peed ALL the time too. DO limit the water. I thought I needed to refill my pups bowl every time it got a little low. Now I put a little in at a time a just stay aware of when she might gulp down some. It IS frustrating when you feel like you are doing all you can do and they are still having accidents. My pup hasn't peed in the house in forever (knock on wood) and she is about 6 months now, but she still poops in the house (in fact my roommate just sent me a text saying she did when I left). Anyway, I took her to pup training and the guy said that it can take up to 1 year for them to fully understand where to potty.

Make sure you are treating him outside as soon as he goes. I carry treats with me at all times when I'm outside with her in case I need to reinforce good behavior. It definitely helped curve he accidents when I did that. 15 mins was her max on not peeing in the house. I took her about ever 10-15 mins. at 14 weeks. It was a pain, but I did it. Now she can hold it for a good 30 mins at 7 months. She can hold it overnight too, I think I've pushed it to about 9 hours thus far, but I wouldn't go past that (I had a long night and I really just didn't wake up before then).

I get how much of a frustrating situation this is, trust me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you be interested in signing up for potty training classes? Housebreaking is time-consuming and requires patience and persistence. Someone needs to be home with the new puppy/dog at all times; this is not always possible for busy pet parents who work. Most, if not all, obedience training classes teach YOU how to teach your dog and only briefly cover the issue of potty training. However, you are then left on your own with this difficult task. Would you be interested in registering to have your dog potty trained at a local dog boarding school that specifically focuses on housebreaking? For a reasonable price you can leave your dog at the boarding school where there will be trained professionals available 24/7 to potty train your dog. This training can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Again, you have to remember that potty training is time-consuming and requires a lot of patience and persistence. Let trained professionals help you with this taunting task. Please let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Hang on, let me get this straight. You're offering a service to potty train people's newly-acquired puppies, where there is a "trained professional" attending to the pup 24/7 at your facility for a duration of 2 to 4 weeks ???

What about other elements of training, such as early socialization, bonding, bite inhibition etc ? or does that simply go out the window in favour of potty training.

I'm having a difficult time imagining how all of this takes place, and how it's beneficial. Is it a nation-wide network of potty trainers ... or something ???

:confused:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Uhh... yeah. I agree with petpeeve. Potty training might be really frustrating, but there is SO MUCH ELSE that needs to be going on during the potty training ages. Granted, I'm not comfortable with board-and-train facilities at all. But this just seems like a pretty bad idea to me. Besides the fact that dogs don't even fully have control over their bladders until about 6 months, so you'd still need to be working on potty training just as diligently before/after the training facility...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts