Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help pls! Next dog advice (after toy poodle)

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ScPuppy99 
Take a good look at the descriptions of temperament and energy level of some of those breeds you listed on a reputable site like AKC.org. It seem to me if your poodle was perfect and you want bigger, the next size poodle would be the obvious choice. For variety get a different color.:)

P.S. I know it's hard - I'm facing the same thing with a puppy myself, but try not to judge the youngster you get against what the previous dog was like as an adult.

Re the terrorist, I know it is kind of joking. Butif terriers are that bad, how come they are so popular.
They aren't terrible. I just think they'd be a lot more demanding than what you're used to, and I think a lot of people choose dog breeds by appearance without enough consideration to what those particular dogs are bred for. For instance, when I did Rottweiler rescue, I once got a call from a guy who said, "I can't decide between a Rottweiler and a Golden Retriever." He seemed to think the only difference between the breeds was tail and coat color.

If you start reading about the temperaments of some of those terriers, you see words like "feisty" and "scrappy." Don't make the mistake of going for just a certain kind of coat without consideration to what else you get with it. I think the reason there are fewer poodles around than terriers may have something to do with the whole foo-foo dog thing and the misconception that poodles all look like the ones seen at Westminster with the extreme show cuts.

I don't know from experience, but I have heard from other dog people that among the terriers, the Border Terrier is one of the easiest to train, and they are the ones I see here in Colorado at Rally trials, but that's only a couple of owners, so it may not mean anything. Similarly a woman who rescued them told me that Rat Terriers have a relatively mild terrier temperament.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.