Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

When Ludo was young, he was hurt (before I got him). I have never been given a clear story on how he was hurt but it involves his leg and it makes him limp after too strenuous activity. Because of this, I am always very cautious that he not hurt himself. The vet assures me that nothing is broken etc but I don't like to see my monster in any pain.

About a week ago, my roommate (with all good intentions) took Ludo for a walk. During this walk, she let him off leash in a nearby enclosed park to run around. Not a good idea. He ended up hurting his leg and has been limping.

Normally, the limping would go away in about a day or two if he is given proper rest. I made sure he rested as much as possible (which sadly means a lot of crate time because he will not rest on his own outside of his 'den.'

The limp is still there. Moreso when he first wakes up than anything else. And now there is this weird popping sound. The popping and the limp go away after a good jaunt around the living room a few times but I am concerned that it keeps coming back. I have a vet appointment for Monday afternoon.

Any suggestions on what I can do until then to keep him comfortable? Any ideas on what might be going on this time to cause that popping (front right leg, btw)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Dogs can have aspirin for pain. I beleive it is 325mg every 24 hours. GET A SECOND OPINION, I'm not a vet. It helped my guy when I first got him. Hope it's not one of those 5k dollar surgeries.:eek:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. It better not be one of those. That is what worries me. I am freaked out that I am going to get to the vet and they will tell me that there is a major problem. I hate going to the vet. Probably more than my dog. I always worry :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
have you ever tried giving Ludo Glycosamine? you can buy it at your local health food store. Our Scottish terrier also hurt his leg when we was really young. It still bothers him, we took him to the vet and they told us he would need surgery that would cost us about 3 grand. Now my parents are really big natural supliment freaks and decided to to give him glycosamine and it works wonders, his leg hardly ever bothers him, we also give our 11 year old bouv glycosamine as well and it works way better than just giving him an asprin a day. in just a couple weeks he was moving better and so on. I would deff give it a try it worked wonders on our dogs.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The dosage for aspirin is 10 mg per lb, every 12 hrs.

I wouldn't give him any aspirin after Sun about 24 hrs before his appt Mon, as you don't want to mask any pain response at his vet visit.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thank you, spotted.

Aren't chicken feet a cheap and good source of Gluco/Condroitin?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait...so for 90lbs I would give him 900mg? That seems like an awful lot of aspirin...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
For 90 pounds, I would go with one 325mg tablet. Better less than more. And try to give it with food, as it can irritate the stomach.:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok. I thought 900 was a tad bit too much :) Since I think I max out at about 800mg and I am a little bit bigger than the dog.

I will give it to him with his evening meal. It was aspirin, right? Not ibuprofen? I just don't want to give him the wrong thing.

I thougth I had read aspirin was bad for dogs...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That must have been what I read. I knew one was toxic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The vet told me to give my elderly Boston Terrier an aspirin a day for his arthritis. It really helped him! He took aspirin for the last 3 years of his life. He lived to be 19 years old. It's been 2 years and I still really miss him. :(

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If you do want to give him glucosamine, buy the human supplements -- they're usually sold at a lower price for the same stuff.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I was a bad internet user and I went about googling symptoms and I should N.E.V.E.R. do that. Now I am absolutely convinced he has some bone disease in large breed dogs that manifests between 5-18months (he is 20 months but close enough!) and that there is no real cure, just pain management! Ugh!

No more google for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was suggested that I give him Glucosamine. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yes...Try to find a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combo pill at your grocery store or pharmacy (for people).

Or you can buy Cosequin for dogs, but it is more $$$.

It does help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts