Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read my other post first so I don't have to retype almost a book http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-d...four-dogs.html (Four dogs!)

Now that you've read my post I need help about the mini schnauzer. He attacks Pickle and my other new dog Frodo. I have a HUGE backyard and They all get along fine except for the mini schnauzer and he doesn't attack them unless I am outside too! How do I get this to stop. I want to be able to sit in a lawn chair and read my book with my dogs about with out fighting. And Frodo eats sticks then gags on them and Samantha pees every time you even look at her.....

HELP

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Well, first of all, I'd crate or separate the schnauzer while you are outside with the other dogs. The more times that the "fights" happen, the harder its going to be to break the association. It sounds like there is a heightened excitement with you and all the other dogs in the yard. This happens with mac'n'roe, if they are out by them selves..they are just calm...if I'm outside they get wound up and want to play. I've worked with them enough that I can stop their play at a drop of the word "enough" when I see its getting rough. They don't fight, but they play pretty rough....and I always supervise to make sure they don't get too rough. I'm VERY aware of their play and will distract them at the first signs of roughness I am uncomfortable with or if I see Roe doesn't really want to play.

I would have one on one play with each dog and see if you can see how the whole pack is interacting. You've got a lot going on here with four new additions. Crate and rotate will be your friend. Have individual play time with the schnauzer with each dog and then slowly build the group with one more. When I say slowly, I mean get the schnauzer comfortable with each dog individually for like a month or two...and see how they are doing. This will be a slow process. You may find that this dog can only play with a few of the group. But you MUST be PROACTIVE and avoid the situation where the dogs are fighting.

It may just be that the schnauzer has to have separate play time, and that's okay. You just have to figure out what works to keep everyone safe. GOOD LUCK.

Are you keeping them all, or are you considering them FOSTERS?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I would get a behavorist/trainer to come to the house and have a few sessions with and the dogs. It sounds like the dogs have a lot of issues that need to be dealt with and you would get more accurate advice from someone who is there and can see the dogs and what is happening. We can only make educated guesses based on your descriptions.

I highly recommend you get the little booklet Feeling Outnumbered? - How To Manage & Enjoy A Multi Dog Household

and Brenda Aloff's Canine Body Language - A Photographic Guide

As MnR suggested, keep the schnauzer separate for now. Try keeping him separate at all times except for taking him on 20-30 minute walks with one other dog at a time, keep the pace quick and focused. Many dogs bond while out on a walk (aka hunt to the dog). Walk him with 1 other dog at a time, giving each of the other dogs time to walk with him. Perhaps do 2 one day, 2 the next and switch back and forth for a week or two. Then, find someone to help you, and try introducing the schnauzer and one of the other dogs on neutral territory (like at a park where neither have been, or a friend's backyard). Then do the same with each dog. Then on yet another day try him and 2 of the dogs, making sure to have each combo of the 3 other dogs (dog 1 & 2, 2 &3, 1 & 3). You will probably want to do the different combos on different days. During this time you can have the dogs sleep on towels and alternate the towels between crates to help get used to their scent being mixed with his.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts