Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would love some advice on how to deal with the following...
Tuesday evening we picked up "Faida" a 1,5yr old choc.lab. We now have her for a "test-period" to see if she'll fit in to her new home with us :)
She is a sweety, though still very nervous around the house, the other two male roommates, during the walks, etc.
She is ok with me (girl) and walks behind me every step and watches me every second. Though my boyfriend she is also very afraid of :s *makes me think that somewhere in her past she has a bad experience with (a) guy(s)...*
How can we make her not so afraid of my boyfriend?? We allready reward her everytime she comes to him or walks nicely next to him during the walks, but still she is SO nervous around him, doesn't eat the food if he gives it to her (when I give it, it's fine and she'll eat it..), she doesn't come near him, is nervous when he walks her, etc...
PLEASE help...? I love her, but if nothing changes we wont be able to keep her, because it's not nice for a dog to always be nervous..
Thanks so much!!

Baukje

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you just picked her up Tursday evening, she's had a total of a day and a half to get used to this major change. Give her some time before you start considering not keeping her.

Have your boyfriend do all the feeding and walking for now. Does she know any basic obedience? Have him use some really smelly wonderful treat and go over obedience sessions with her. He should stay calm and keep his voice soft. Have him sit on the floor with her and you kind of back off and let them bond a little.

Good luck with her!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would agree will FourIsCompany, give the dog some time.
Let the dog and your boyfriend bond more.
Walking is great for bonding, well walking the right way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! Yeah I know, it's only been 1.5 days :) I was just worried that maybe once a dog doesn't like you from the start, it wont ever like you... And we really need Faida to not just like me but also like him, cause I have to go (back-) to Holland for a while at the end of Aug. (where i'm from) and I just don't want her to be unhappy or nervous. But if you guys say it'll be allright, thats great cause i'd love, LOVE to keep her! (It's just that we want the best for her and there were more people interested in her you know and I think it would be selfish to keep a dog who not at all likes where he/she is) But yeah! We'll try that, he'll walk, feed and do all those things and I'll let him know to do the sitting on the ground with her and stuff!! Thanks.

-- any more tips to help of course are welcome! I wanna make this work! :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Some dogs are naturally afraid of men at first as they usually have deeper voices (deep tones are threatening); they're more confrontational (face to face approaches)...another threat; they tend to loam over the top of the dog but, again, that's another threat.
So, put the BF through a crash course on poise and etiquette. Have him whisper to her like he does to you. Instead of him handing her treats and forcing her to come to him to get them, tell him to just drop the treats nearby. Tell him to not look at her (challenging her) or coax her....it has to be her decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts