Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived in the same house my whole life, I have had 4 dogs total throughout this time. The first had Parvo as a puppy and survived which she was a carrier from that point on, Correct? She lived a long life and died of a stroke. Me and my family than had 2 other dogs that lived long lifes as well and then one got a wierd stomach thing and died, a few months later the other got a wierd stomach thing and died we do not know what caused either of these illnesses nor what they died of. Now, at least 8 years after our 1st dog died I got a Puppy, she was fine until one day we noticed that she did not eat ther food that night she threw up some watery looking stuff and then the next morning she was having diarrhea and was very weak looking. It being a Sunday me and my boyfriend took her to an emergency clinic and they tested her for Parvo and Parasites, both test came back negative and she seemed to actually be coming around. They wanted to keep her and do bloodwork over night but wanted to charge us $1000. We decided we would just take her home and keep a close eye on her until the next day and we would than take her to a local vet. About 3 hours after we got home she began breathing very shallow and we didnt even have enough time to get her back to the vet before she passed away. My question is could there be something in my yard causing this?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
My codolences on your losses.

Could you have any fertilizer runoff from neighboring properties? Any pesticides they are getting into (bug spray/rat poison)? Weed killer? Anyone doing radiator flushes from cars near your property? Any poisonous plants?

Do you have any medications (Ibuprophen, etc) that they can get into? Chocolate? Grape vines with grapes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
From a person who has gone through the same thing as you, I offer my deepest sympathy. It's terrible to lose a pet, especially when it's such a young thing. In early February we brought home a puppy which died from (according to the vet) either a liver shunt or distemper... It's not a fun thing to go through, but unfortunately in your case, unless you do a necropsy, you probably won't fully know what caused it.

Vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy are three symptoms that are unfortunately too common to account for any one thing. Like Spotted Nikes says, there could have been some fertilizer runoff, poisonous plants/bug repellents, etc. Even some common household chemicals can poison a dog.

If you had the money, I'd recommend getting a necropsy, especially if you're looking to get another dog. If not, I'd disinfect the house (just in case) and wait a couple weeks before introducing a new pup. Additionally, keeping the puppy confined in something like a playpen or large crate during the day (and maybe even not letting it outside) will eliminate the possibility of the pup getting into anything poisonous again.

Once more I offer my sympathies. It's not easy to loose a pet.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top