Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a miniature dachshund boy that is 4 years old. I have tried several methods to train him with no success. He constantly barks at who/whatever he wants to, he stands by the door when he wants to go out (somehow) and even if I take him out he will still poop in the house without hesitation. My father and I are sick of living in a toilet, and my mother loves him too much to even discuss anything with us. I've tried barking collars that spray him in the face, kennel training, squirting him, yelling at him, ignoring him, using treats if he is good, locking him in a room and ignoring him if he is bad.. I don't know what else to do! Please help me!
Thanks,
Lauren

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
1. Look online or local training for potty training.
2. Clean up the spots inside with enzyme cleaner or vinegar to remove the smell from him.
3. If you can't find 'potty training', read these: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads Treat him like a puppy.
4. If you can't trust him inside, then you can't leave him alone. When you see him sniff, take him outside, and treat.
5. Focus on the potty training, get it under control, then work on the barking ... don't punish him.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Find a trainer who uses positive methods that does home evaluations and have them work with your dog and your family in your home environment. It sounds like you need a consistent training protocol from someone who is not a family member and can be neutral. You will have to convince your mother that a trained dog is a happy dog. Ask around for recommendations. There are several organizations such as the Assoc of Pet Dog trainers http://www.apdt.com/ where you could look to find a trainer that might work well with your family. I am sure other members of the forum can suggest other resources too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
I live in a small town in Montana, so personal trainers aren't an option.
Also the snow/temperature makes walks/potty training VERY difficult.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
I live in a small town in Montana, so personal trainers aren't an option.
Also the snow/temperature makes walks/potty training VERY difficult.
Any other ideas?
The cold weather and snow can make it harder but not impossible. If the snow is too deep then shovel him a potty area and keep his potty times short. If he doesn't go then either keep him on a leash with you supervised or kennel him and try again in 10-20 minute increments (or longer depending on his potty habits). It's going to take time and consistency but by going back to the basics like everyone suggested you can get there.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We housebroke our dachshund mix in upstate NY in winter. It gets pretty darn cold and snowy here! He's fully grown now, but we still shovel a patch of lawn for him in the front yard. I think it's almost better to housebreak in the cold because they want to get back inside as fast as possible, and when they learn that pee/poop means we get to go inside -- they're gonna go fast! At least that's what happened with my dog.

For the barking thing - my dog is way barkier when he's bored. If he doesn't get enough exercise and/or mental stimulation he'll bark at dumb stuff. It is harder to take him on walks in the winter; he's cold, he hates it, he doesn't want to do it. We still try when the temp is above freezing, and take him to indoor playgroups, and play lots of running around games and training games around the house with him. He likes to chase balls, and the laser pointer, and we'll do training commands where he's jumping up and down on things, or toss a treat and call "Find it!" then once he's eaten it call "Come!" for him to run back. Sometimes that's how he gets his dinner! Try finding ways to tire your dog out and see if that helps with the barking.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have a miniature dachshund boy that is 4 years old. I have tried several methods to train him with no success. He constantly barks at who/whatever he wants to, he stands by the door when he wants to go out (somehow) and even if I take him out he will still poop in the house without hesitation. My father and I are sick of living in a toilet, and my mother loves him too much to even discuss anything with us. I've tried barking collars that spray him in the face, kennel training, squirting him, yelling at him, ignoring him, using treats if he is good, locking him in a room and ignoring him if he is bad.. I don't know what else to do! Please help me!
Thanks,
Lauren
Part of the problem could be that you've tried too many things, without sticking with any one thing for enough time for it to make sense to your dog. Do you know what I mean? Training takes lots and lots of repetition. If you don't think it's working it may be because you haven't been doing it long enough, or you haven't been consistent enough. And, if you think it's not working, and you try something new without giving it long enough to work, it will just confuse the dog.

First, though, your whole family has to be on the same page. Consistency is so important. Everyone has to agree to use the same methods.

For potty training: is your dog free fed (food down all day) or fed meals at scheduled times?
If you free feed, it's harder to determine when your dog should be pooping. If you feed on a schedule, you can expect poops to happen 20-45 minutes after he eats. If you think he should be pooping (based on when he last ate), and you take him out but he doesn't poop, then you need to expect that he's STILL going to need to poop. So, if he doesn't do it, bring him back in, but keep him right with you, right in your sight, and right within reach. Give him 5 minutes inside (watching him) and then take him back out and try again.
The thing is, if he SHOULD need to poop, but doesn't, you know he still has to. So, be prepared to keep trying until he does. Alternate, 5 minutes outside to try, 5 minutes inside to wait til the next try.

I would go back to the beginning of potty training, as if he was a puppy. Do not let him out of your sight. Keep your eyes directly on him. If you see the signs he needs to go, rush him out. And, take him out on a schedule, every hour. You won't always need to do this, but, by supervising this closely, you will prevent the majority of accidents. And, if you can PREVENT accidents, you are really shaping his behavior, he's only ALLOWED to potty outside (because you prevent inside accidents at all costs) so pretty soon he assumes he just has to go outside.

This means, no watching tv and watching the dog, no reading the book and watching the dog. If he's up and moving around, he needs to be closely watched, and within reach. IF he's sleeping or laying down playing with a toy, you're off the hook a bit. Otherwise, eyes on the dog. Give fabulous treats within three seconds of him going potty outside. Give lots of praise.

Teach him a quiet command. When he barks at someone, give the quiet command. IF he is quiet, give a treat. Gradually increase the amount of time he's required to be quiet before getting the treat. If you give him a quiet command, and he doesn't be quiet, take him to a different room, where he will be alone, and leave him there. The second he's calm and quiet, bring him back into the room with the person he barked at. If he barks again, repeat the whole thing, take him out of the room. YES, it's a hassle to take him out of the room every time he barks at someone, but, dogs really do like being with their humans, and he will (if you do it every time) realize that he doesn't get to be with his people if he's barking.

Don't squirt him, or use the spray collars, or yell at him. He doesn't understand completely what you want, as you are only reacting to him doing what you DON'T want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts