Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m not sure on what section does this topic belong to but I’ll just post it right here on the health topic.

I think I've finally gotten my dog Buddy to eat more (keeps fingers crossed) by adding a little bit of water to his dry food/kibble. He is on Solid Gold Wee Bit small breed. Since I am now adding water to his kibble I believe the chances of him accumulating tarter are even greater now.

I cannot brush his teeth because he will not let me. I've tried to for a couple of days but he doesn’t cooperate. I've given up. I already know that giving your dog raw bones is the best chewing exercise that a dog can get but I simply do not have the resources or supplies to give him raw bones.

That being said, what are some good chews treats that I can give my dog? I have some Kong toys and food dispenser toys but he will not chew on them. He will roll them or stick his tongue inside the little hole but I never see him chew on those Kong toys.

Any recommendation folks as to what is the safest chew treat? I've heard so many horror stories about Greenies and rawhide bones so I’m not sure what to do. I already know that all chew toys come w/their risks and that I should monitor him closely so that he doesn’t swallow any big pieces and to take away the chew treat when its small enough to swallow. All of you folks that give dental chews give me some advice please.
Some of you already know this but Buddy is a miniature poodle, 8 years old and weighs 15 lbs.

He already had his dental cleaning (surgery w/no tooth extractions) like 3 months ago. I have him on a wellness plan and it includes annual dental cleaning. I've also heard some folks on these forums worried about their dogs getting sedated or anesthesia so should I be concerned? My dog came out perfectly fine out of surgery so I assumed that it was safe.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It is mostly safe, but being put under anesthesia is very stressful on both humans and animals, especially such a small dog. There will always be risks. Feeding raw bones a few times a week is really not that hard or expensive, and it is so incredibly beneficial to their dental health. Greenies and rawhides can be very dangerous, both can get stuck in the digestive track and aren't very easy to digest. Greenies are also full of unnatural ingredients. They are also more expensive than raw bones. I have tried greenies and brushing with my yorkie, but honestly the only think that has helped her is raw bones. She won't even need a dental this year. Her teeth just keep getting whiter so I doubt she will need one for many years to come. Just giving her a chicken wing instead of a meal 2-3 times a week will do wonders for her. It really is not expensive or hard, and is is MUCH less expensive than a dental and MUCH less riskier. You really don't need any supplies to feed raw. Just go to any grocery store and buy chicken wings with no added sodium. Chicken wings or drummettes are really cheap, especially since you only would feed them a few times a week.

I really think you should try feeding some bones. It is worth it. Being put under isn't worth it just to have teeth cleaned when it can be prevented easily..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
After two days you gave up? Try again but first gradually introduce I'm to the idea. Let him lick the toothpaste off your finger for a few days, then put it on the toothbrush and let him lick it for a few days. Then just brush his canine teeth for a few days. Before transitioning to the next step, make sure he's comfortable with the previous step. Gradually build up to all teeth. You don't really have to do the inside (back of the teeth) but if you can it's better. Brushing is the beat way to stave off dental problems. But be patient, two days is not nearly enough. Even if your dog has a dental, you will still need to maintain by brushing.

Raw meaty bones are also a good choice cor a dental chew. A raw chicken wing, back beef rib....raw not cooked. Cooked bones will splinter and may cause perforation in the digestive tract.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have read that apples are great with the skin on them but dogs rarely like them haha. Maybe try carrots. I feed my puppies carrots because they are teething and it keeps their baby teeth really clean too! Good luck! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I give my dog raw beef ribs too. About one a week keeps her teeth looking awesome (she's 2 1/2 - just about that age when the teeth start to look yellow, but hers are still white). Deer/elk antlers are also a good chew, though I buy them more to occupy my dog than for her teeth. I like them for my dog because they last long and they don't break off in splinters or chunks for moderate chewers - they kind of dissolve/turn into powder as they chew.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You don't have to brush with a toothbrush, you know. Buy an exfoliating bath glove, put the toothpaste on your forefinger and thumb and rub your dog's teeth gently in a circular motion.

Make sure you're using a good toothpaste, too. I see a lot of mint toothpastes at walmart and grocery stores. Dogs don't like mint. Pet stores and vets sell liver and chicken flavored toothpaste, which your dog will much prefer. (I'm tempted to try it just to see . . .)

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but where do you actually get these raw bones from? Can you just go to a butcher and ask for raw bones for your dog?

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but where do you actually get these raw bones from? Can you just go to a butcher and ask for raw bones for your dog?
Not a stupid question!! Most of the time that's exactly what you do, they usually have a wide selection if they do the cutting themselves. If they don't have any you can probably ask the head butcher there and he/she would probably know where you can get some. Its amazing how quickly they get rid of the tarter too, I hadn;t given my girls some in months and gave them each a rib bone a few weeks ago and once a week since then and their teeth are back to being sparkly white :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I buy mine at a local supermarket and separate them/trim off some of the fat and meat before freezing them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I will take into considerations all of your suggestions. To those of you that recommend raw bones, can I go to my local HEB grocery store and buy them? Or do I have to find a local meat butcher?

If I do decide to give raw bones I will only give them maybe once or twice a week. I might try a chicken wing(s) on Sundays and rib bone(s) on Wednesdays. Any recommendations as to how much or what amount to offer? Buddy is a miniature poodle and weighs 15 lbs. Dixie is a toy poodle and she weighs 10 lbs. Like instead of their usual morning and evening meal on Sunday should I sub those with a chicken wing/rib bone in the morning and another chicken wing/rib bone in the evening or should I just give as a treat (I'm afraid that once he given any of these meats he won't want to eat his kibble for the rest of the day) and offer once a day on Sunday and Wednesday?

One thing that I am very afraid of is that my picky dog Buddy might start rejecting his kibble (now that he's finally eating it w/water added) and that is something that I wouldn't want. Any suggestions as to how to work around this picky/finicky problem with Buddy? Also any precautions that I should take because this would be his first time ever eating raw meat and bones.

If I give chicken wings should I remove the skin fat or just offer as is? Same w/rib bones, should I remove the fat and meat or just offer as is? Should I offer frozen or thawed?

Oh and about the rib bones, should I give one, a couple, or a few rib bones?

Sorry if I annoy anybody w/my stupid questions I'm just very cautious and curious since I've never given raw to my dogs.

PS Are rib bones safer than marrow bones? I've heard that marrow bone can splinter or break a dog's tooth.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes they're safer than marrow bones, mine can actually eat the whole rib in an hour. I give one a week and you may be prepared for a little bit of an upset belly the next day if they have a sensitive stomach. I give mine frozen just because it takes them longer to eat it and they seem to prefer it with as hot as it is outside!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts