Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11mo old female jack russell has been yelping in pain at times. I have felt all over her body without a reaction. She's really tired and she can't get up on the furniture on her own. She's using the bathroom fine and it seems to be normal. I thought at first maybe she had pulled a muscle playing so I gave her some children's advil. (I don't know if that'd hurt her or not but she's been so sick and i was desperate.) It actually works when i give it to her. She starts to eat and drink and play soon after. After it wears off though she gets really bad again. Could it maybe be a virus or something? She hasn't had diharea or vomiting. She seems to be having body aches. I've also pressed lightly on her stomah and it doesnt seem to bother her. Its the weekend so I can't take her to the vet just yet. Any suggestions as to what it may be??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,765 Posts
Advil (ibuprofen) is super toxic to dogs. I hope it hasn't done any damage. . .you should get her in to the vet for bloodwork ASAP to see. Dogs can have aspirin but I wouldn't give her any now, until you know what's wrong, and have the vet's OK.

As for the initial problem. . .do you live somewhere with Lyme disease? That can cause body aches. Have the vet run a tick-borne disease panel along with the regular bloodwork. I don't really have any other guesses, but I will say to write down all her symptoms and your observations before you take her to the vet, and bring the notebook with you. I always forget something, so having it right in front of you is great.

I hope the vet can figure out what's wrong and help her to feel better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks... Yes we do live in a very wooded area and she like to play outside in he yard and in the woods. We have got a few ticks off of her in the past weeks. I forgot to mention that about a week before she got sick she was having alot of accidents in the house and acted like she couldn't hold her pee at all. I thought maybe a uti or something so i gave her extra water and she seemed fine soon after. I don't know if thats related or not. I don't think she has gotten into anything poisonous either. My boyfriend and his brother have been working on a truck outside so he's with her at all times when she's outside.... Me and my boyfriend have to both work today so she's going to be in her cage for about 8 hrs. I pray she'll be okay when I get home tonight. I don't have anyone who can dogsit today, but I am going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning. Wish me luck...
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top