Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here. We just got a pug puppy and as I was searching for a breeder I started seeing lots of things on food, so I started reading and I did not like what I say (by products and what not). So now that I am a little more educated (but not tons) I would like to change my older dogs food and pick a good food for my puppy.

I have a 5 year old and I have some medical issues so I do not have tons of time to do indepth research on Dog food even though I would love to. Anything regarding dogs and kids interest me. So with that being said I hope some one is willing to help me. I have read some of the posts but I have dogs with different needs, so here goes.

We just moved to this town so far I have only found a Pet Smart so please reccommend at least one brand I can buy there.

I have a pug puppy. The breeder had him on Eukanuba canned Chicken and rice. We have our other 2 dogs on dry and I hate canned so we tried switching him to blue buffalo by mixing the dry with the canned. But he started having a lot more poops and in my ignorance I thought he was not tolerating this food, so we backed off of the dry blue buffalo and went back to the canned and then started to process of of mixing the canned Eukanuba with Nutro Natural chioce. This was before I found this website. Now that I have read about the Mars company I want the puppy off the Nutro. He is pooping more on it and we have gotten to a point were he is on the dry (a couple days) But he does not eat as much on the dry. So.... Can I change him to a better brand? If so should I go back to the Eukanuba canned mixed with the nutro first and then make the switch? Am I changing his food too much for such a little guy? He is 14 weeks and 5 lbs. Also what food do you recommend?

On to my other dogs. I have a 10 year old Beagle and a 7 year old pug. Both overweight and big couch potatoes. They are on beneful (due to my ignorance) I would like to get them on better food. But I am not sure how much protein they need and what food to give them. Also to complicate things further the beagle might be sick. Not sure yet. He had 2 lumps a month ago in his chest area. We went back the the vet yesterday and he found 4 more. Not good. they multiplied pretty quickly. The doc took cells from the lumps and I should hear back by the end of the week. Does this complicate changing his diet. (I am crushed over this I can't stand the thought that my beloved Beagle might be sick).

My dogs are the loves of my life (besides son and hubby) I need to do whats best for them.

Also are there healthy treats?

Thanks for reading my novel and for any help.

Katie

·
Registered
242 Posts
For the puppy, It's best to fins one food and remain on it. As you've mentioned switching so many times is not good. As for the brands you are currently feeding, Eukanuba and Nutro, they are very comparable as far as quality goes. Although Mars has been under attack lately, Procter & Gamble has been under attack for many, many years. So as far as justifying by company ownerships, again they're pretty comparable. Personally I would keep the puppy on Euk until it is at least 6 months and then re-evaluate.

As for the older dogs and being overweight.... it's a tough spot again. A high quality, grain free tinned food is going to be your best bet to lose weight on both dogs safely yet efficiantley. The reason for the grain free is because in actuality, it is very difficult for dogs to digest and assimilate grains (it's hard for us too). The reason for the tinned food, is because it is easier and faster to digest than dry food. The conjunction of the two, grain-free and tinned, is the safest approach without going raw.

As far as the possible cancer your one dog may have, I'm sorry to hear that by the way, the best thing you can do is supplement your dog nutritionally. When you figure out the exact issue with your dog, most likely you're going to be on meds or a strict diet intake regime. regardless of the diagnosis, being nutritionally healthy only makes things easier. It's kinda like when you get sick you eat Chicken Soup, and it has a lot of ingredients that help the body heal. If in fact, your dog does have cancer.. there is such a thing as Cancer diets out there.

in the end I think you should take the two older dogs off Beneful, and put them on a tinned, grain-free, premium diet. As for what PetSmart carries.... it seems to be different weather you're in Canada or the US, so please feel free to list the brands that are available to you and I would be more than willing to guide you.

As for the treats--one less treat a day=one less pound a year! Treats are for people, not for dogs. However, if you need to treat..... try High protein, low fat treats. Such as Pure chicken, turkey, or duck breasts, natural chews, grain free semi-moist or dehydrated treats. Focus on products that have very little ingredients, and stay a way from crunchy dry treats.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Natural Balance has an all stages food; and I know PetsMart carries it; then you could have all the dogs on one food, which would complicate things a bit less. ;) The Natural Balance food rolls are a GREAT treat, and can also encourage a picky eater to eat a bit more.

As far as switching the dogs over, you may experience a bit of diarrhea or vomiting, as they make the switch to a less grainy and by-product type food. They should get over it quite quickly, as they make the switch. You could toss a bit of canned pumpkin into their food to help alleviate\prevent the stomach upset. A bit of pure peppermint oil on the tongue can also help alleviate tummy troubles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Alot of the foods can be found close to you by going to the manufactures website and typing in your area code. A good place to look is at feed stores, my 2 feed store carry all the good stuff. I really like Canidea all life stages but there has been a few around that I know that do not like it. Taste of the wild has a great selection also. The pup should prob be on a lower protien than the adult dogs. I know alot of breeds tend not to do well as pups on high protein. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
242 Posts
Natural Balance has an all stages food; and I know PetsMart carries it; then you could have all the dogs on one food, which would complicate things a bit less. ;) The Natural Balance food rolls are a GREAT treat, and can also encourage a picky eater to eat a bit more.

As far as switching the dogs over, you may experience a bit of diarrhea or vomiting, as they make the switch to a less grainy and by-product type food. They should get over it quite quickly, as they make the switch. You could toss a bit of canned pumpkin into their food to help alleviate\prevent the stomach upset. A bit of pure peppermint oil on the tongue can also help alleviate tummy troubles.
Although I believe Natural Balance to be a great food, it isn't going to be great in this situation for all three dogs. For Example, Natural Balance Ultra and Lamb and Rice both contain grains and moderate protein and fats. This theoretically is fine for the puppy because at this moment there is nothing wrong with him...to encourage his growth rate, feed more than the suggested feeding (because it is an all life stage formula, the owner has to adjust accordingly.) However, for the two older dogs who are older and overweight it won't benefit them at all. Even if you were to reduce the amount of food they were getting, you would then sacrifice the level of protein necessary to maintain lean muscle mass.

As for the "Allergy formulas" Duck and Potato, Sweet Potato and fish, and Sweet Potato and Venison... they don't contain grains but they also have too low protein. For the puppy the protein is too low, even if you were to double the amount fed... you would be compromising the balance of all other analysis issues. As for these formulas for the two older dogs, the grain free definitely helps with the new weight gain, but there is not enough protein to burn existing fat on the dogs. If you were to reduce the amount fed on these formulas then the dogs would be prone to storing even more (fat) because they wouldn't be getting enough of anything, ie. fat, protein, fiber, etc.

So again, I am not against Natural Balance, (considering I have to feed it to my dog), but I just don't think it is appropriate in this particular situation.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
So again, I am not against Natural Balance, (considering I have to feed it to my dog), but I just don't think it is appropriate in this particular situation.
I was more going by what she had available to her, atleast given what I know PetsMart has. I know for myself, I would prefer to buy one food, especially if it could work for all of them, than to have to purchase 2-3 types. I was just giving her an option to check out, so no offense taken. :)

My two pooches (an adult Terrier mix, and a Mini Poodle puppy) were on the all life stages, and both did well on it. I still prefer Chicken Soup, TOTW, and SG, but if those weren't available I would definitely go back to NB. One can always supplement to ensure protien\fat, and other vitamin needs are met, too. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Again,

I found a local feed store. It took me longer to get there than I thought so I did not have that much time there but the had Wellness, Instinct, I saw the black bags of Before Grain, maybe Legacy. They had a lot more to choose from.

Can you please give me your top 5 foods. I don't mind having the older dogs on one brand and the puppy on another. I have to compare price somewhat.

I am sure if you give me the top 5 favorite (in order) they will have a couple of them. This place had a large selection but by the time I found it I had to leave to get my son.

Thanks for all this helps. I still don't have any results on my beagles test but I want to keep my beloved doggies around as long as I can.

Oh yeah... I am in the US in CT.

Katie

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Hi Again,

I found a local feed store. It took me longer to get there than I thought so I did not have that much time there but the had Wellness, Instinct, I saw the black bags of Before Grain, maybe Legacy. They had a lot more to choose from.

Can you please give me your top 5 foods. I don't mind having the older dogs on one brand and the puppy on another. I have to compare price somewhat.

I am sure if you give me the top 5 favorite (in order) they will have a couple of them. This place had a large selection but by the time I found it I had to leave to get my son.

Thanks for all this helps. I still don't have any results on my beagles test but I want to keep my beloved doggies around as long as I can.

Oh yeah... I am in the US in CT.

Katie

I haven't had a puppy in three years but I think the higher protein grainfree ones are NOT for puppies. Check the website for Merrick Before the Grain and Instinct (both are grainfree, higher protein). One nice thing about Instinct (that is made by Nature's Variety) is that they have some type of a biocoating and they recommend you rotate between their varieties. If this store sells Instinct, they probably sell their other one, Prairie.
Some of my favorite foods are

Wellness Core (grainfree): I use the reduced fat, helped my obese dog I
rescued lose weight
Eagle Pack
Orijen (also grainfree)
The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated raw)

My favorites won't necessarily be your favorites, its all about what works for your dogs. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK Just got back from the store and I bought Instinct for the older dogs it is rated a 6 on http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8

But how is it rated a 6 if there is no review?

And I bought Wellness Puppy for the puppy. It has 28% protien. I read somewhere that high protien in puppy food can harm their development.

I looked at Envo, Wellness Core, and Legacy, and they were expensive. What I pick was not cheap but it least I won't have to mortgage my house.

Are these decent foods before I start feeding them?

TIA,
Katie:)

Edit: I tried feeding some samples to older dogs. One liked it the other walked away now what.

The good news is the Puppy liked the Wellness.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...have you ever used Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food? I just purchased it at PetSmart and my dog loves it --- the clerk at Petsmart said it was one of the healthiest out there --- I also bought the biscuits - they have Adult & Puppy -- Has anyone had any experience with this Dog Food?

I feed my dog 2 Biscuits in the morning with 1 cup of Blue Dry Food and at night I feed him 1/2 Cup of Blue Dry Food with cooked Chicken or Beef and Vegetables.

I have a 1 year old Siberian Husky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts