Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read a great deal of threads on this forum, but haven't quite found this exact problem. My 4 year old Bichon/Poodle, Bailey, has been with us since a pup. She is an excellent dog, very loving and was extremely easy to potty train. We have had no issues until now. We just had our second child a couple months ago. Our first is 2 years old. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a wet spot on our shag carpet in the family room. As I began to investigate further with a black light it appears Bailey has been using the carpet more then once. I can't be sure how long this has been happening, but I imagine its about the same time frame the baby came home. I wouldn't say Bailey has been neglected as of late, but without a doubt she has not been getting the same attention she used to. So far to remedy the situation we have been acknowledging Bailey much more and paying more attention to her. We have also let her interact with the baby more to get her familiar with the new member of the family.

Bailey has always slept in bed with us and has never been crate trained. She has always had full access to the house as we've never had reason to confine her. She will actively use her dog door during the day when we are all around, but at night or when we are away she continues to use the carpet. After using a black light I have identified 10 - 20 spots and treated them with Nature's Miracle enzyme and had the carpets shampood. For now I have been blocking off the family room, but recnelty she moved her business and pooped on the office carpet. Today she actually wet the carpet in our master bedroom the same room she sleeps in (btw the baby is currently in our room as well in a basinet which could also be complicating the situation for Bailey). It grosses me out that our carpet has numerous urine stains and I would love to go out and buy new carpet, but I first need to curve this behavior.

Do I need to actually go out with her at night and praise her for using the grass as if to retrain her? I'm no trainer, but this just doesn't seem like a training issue because she uses her dog door all day long when we are around.

Can an older dog be crated trained all of a sudden? I wouldn't think she would react well to this and her whining would then cause other issues like waking children. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

Much thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would take her to the vet first of all, to check for a urinary tract infection. Sometimes when animals get them, they start to associate the pain of urinating with the area that they are using to potty, and will start to look for alternatives. If this is the case, she will just need some antibiotics for a week or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts