Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi well basically i have a husky/rottweiler mix, pretty big dog and i really want her to lose weight etc, but her leg isn't the best nowadays, and i know if i take her for too many walks she might be in pain after a while, but i still want to take her for walks a lot so she can lose weight. So i'm thinking i'd feel better about her getting exercise if i don't have to worry about her arthritis problem, causing her to trip or w/e, after the walk is finished. Plus i was thinking she'd be able to walk for longer or move faster as well, which should also help with losing weight even faster.

Anyways, i i already tried to get a joint supplement, it was the synovi g3 chews. Now the box came with a sample of joint max soft chews. I first gave her the sample and she ate all 3 up, although not as fast as i'd hoped. And than i gave her synovi g3 soft chews the next day and she ate 2 of those or so. But 3rd day she refused to eat them and i kept trying a few more days after that. And i eventually succeeded in getting her to eat one cut up piece, after i mixed it with some salmon. Unfortunately this is not going ideally the way i wanted. I figure i can cut up one treat a day with this grinder i got and put it in her food, but i doubt i can get away with 2 treats mixed in her food, cut up or not. After i mixed it in with her food this other time without any salmon, it took her away to even eat out of her bowl. So i want to find another supplement which is easier to administer. Here's some of the choices i was thinking about.

Nutri-Vet Hip & Joint Peanut Butter Large Dog Biscuits, 6 Pound Bag - i figure she'd definitely eat these, she loves just about any dog biscuit i ever fed her, only thing is it only has glucasomine which kinda sucks, would like a more potent supplement

Joint MAX TS (Triple Strength) 120 Capsules - was thinking i could pour the powder out and into her water, i was thinking she drinks so much water and she needs water more often so she'd just ignore any funny taste/smell, atleast i'd hope so

Joint Treats® (60 Soft Chews) - seems like a cheap option, but lacking a bit in the amount/variety of ingredients.

Flavor Doh - i figure i can buy this and put it over the synovi chews i already got, but one problem is when dog was eatting them before she would bite them a bit and than it'd hit the ground and be in pieces and she'd eat it some more until she was done. So i'm thinking the flavor doh would be a fix to get her to atleast bite it once but who knows if after she breaks it apart if she'd aware she'd been had.

Okay so i've researched a lot of stuff about this already, from different products to the necessary ingredients. Last problem left to figure out is which ways i can administer it to my dog, want to give her consistent doses and than take her for walks more often during this time, see what happens ;o Also i know some people just open their dogs mouth and give them medicine, but my dog is kinda a wuss, she gets scared easy about stuff, as she was abused a long time ago. So looking for other options besides that. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most oral joint supplements have little or no clinical data stating they do anything in the first place. you are better off getting your dog Adequan inject able once a month. You can get it thru your vet, and they can either teach you how to administer it, or you can take your dog monthly and they should do it for free or a few dollars.

if you are insistant on oral supplementation. First thing to look for is a NASC emblem. NASC stands for the National Animal Supplement Council and basically acts as a regulatory department for joint supplements. Without the seal there is ZERO guarantee that the ingredients listed are actually what you are getting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind about the nasc emblem, but don't think i'll go the injection route, uhh too unclear on that. But does anyone know if capsules are always going to have powder in them? I mean i know some capsules for supplements are just hard, and have no powder, their like tablets. And also what is the difference between powder/caps and granules? Seems like granules are like powder but maybe have bigger pieces.

Reason i ask is because im thinking putting medicine in her water is more or less the way to go. Plus it can also work in her food, so there's 2 ways to go about administering it. I'm guessing u can't put granules in the water though So would have to get capsules but i don't want to get a bottle of capsules that turn out to have no powder in them, and than i'd feel like i wasted my money. Unless i get some pill crushing type machine ;O

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The injectable stuff is terrific but it does cost a lot of money. I went back to giving simple human Triple Flex from Costco.. I know it helps her, she was in agility and her times improved when she went on it. $25 for 120 hard caps and she gets 4 a day. For years she would eat them from my hand but now I grind them up with a mortar and pestle and mix with stinky canned or fresh green tripe as her dessert. If your dog is picky I wouldn't put anything in the water, it could put her off drinking! The MSM is the magic ingredient in the stuff. Look through dogaware.com for loads of good info on arthritis. And you could always just stick the pills down her throat. I make sure to do that on a weekly basis in case I MUST do it when the dogs are ill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm so what would you recommend, the capsules or the granules? Right off i'm kinda put off by the granules as they just seem like grinded up soft chews and dog isn't too fond of the smell of the soft chews i already have. Also i'd rather not try to put it in her mouth as i don't usually touch her there much and idk how she'd react, she's really good dog, never bites, but she does get scared easily and sometimes dogs will just bite out of being afraid. Although it's something i might attempt if mixing a capsule with her food doesn't work out.

One of the things that kinda sucks is, i know you're supposed to give them 1 pill about 3-4 times a day, and dog usually only gets like 4-5 handfuls of food everyday (in addition to table food sometimes). So it's like would have to stop doing that and give her 1 handfill, than a pill, and do that 4 times a day. I guess that's doable but with less food to mix with the powder, it seems like it might not work. *sigh. So far most reliable ideas seem to get the peanut butter biscuits with glucosamine as it seems to have one of the most favorable flavors, not too medicine-like. Or putting the pill in her mouth. Than comes mixing the powder with her food. See i'm kinda caught up in a predicament, where i want to make sure she takes the medicine, and for it also have good enough ingredients.

But seems like i have to worry about finding that NASC stamp to make sure the quality of ingredients is there, and figure out if powder/granules are the easiest for the dog to take, and if not, maybe just get the biscuits. For instance, what if i find out powder is easiest to mix in her food, but than it doesn't have the nasc seal. Or what if i decide a food has the nasc seal and it's the hardest to administer. And also keep wondering if i should just settle with the peanut butter biscuits as maybe glusosamine should be enough? And it'll be the easiest for dog to take. So i keep going back in forth between quality of ingredients, and the number of ingredients, and the ease of administering it.

So far it seems like if i decide to just go for easiest way of administering, i go for the glusosamine biscuits but if i decide to take my chances with the powder/caps, it'd be hardest to administer, but have better ingredients. So now really caught with, maybe i'm being overzealous about the effectiveness of all those extra ingredients, maybe just get the biscuits as they'd probably be effective and easy to administer. But than if they don't have the nasc seal, who knows. I don't want to waste my money on a product with inferior ingredients. Thanks for any other advice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
if the glucosamine is added to the biscuits prior to baking, most of the glucosamine has then broken down and is useless.

chicken catrilage is a natural source of glucosamine... perhaps you can find a source that your dog will eat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well so far when i search for chicken cartilage, all i can find are capsules. Hmmmm. I want to order something or maybe even go to the store, but wanna do it soon. Like today, the dog's leg kinda gave a bit and she fell a bit, i was quick to pick her back up a bit. The thing is the stairs are only just 3 steps so, kinda shows she's not in the best condition. But she's able to climb the steps on our porch which have like 5 steps but they're wider front to back, so that might be part of the problem.

Anyways, i'm just too confused nowadays, i mean i'm really thinking of just getting those glucosamine biscuits but than horseandhound mentioned how the biscuits might not be made right, and also mentioned should try to find a nasc seal. So now it's like the biscuits go from being one of the best options to one of the more questionable options. I'm wondering if i shouldn't just go to my local drug pharmacy and just get glucasoamine and chrondroiton supplements and put it over her food and that's that, and hope for the best. But what really sucks is how a lot of people mention how you should give dosages spread out through the day. But the thing with my dog is, she won't eat her food consistently, i mean she won't always clean out the bowl by a certain time. I think only thing i can do to make sure she does eat a certain amount is to put actual meat in there and only a small handful. But still i can't believe this is so hard.

Right now i'm contemplating cutting one of the synovi treats i got in half and wrapping it up tight in a piece of turkey and putting it in the dogs mouth and see what happens. Only problem with that though is i'd run through a bit of turkey like 6 slices a day if i was going to give her 3 treats a day. I guess it'd work out in the end but still, just surprised it'd be this hard. Oh ya just wanted to mention i put some gravy over one of the treats, as well as some peanut butter and neither idea worked, as she just licked it and than left it alone. ;(

Hmm had a semi-success today, and i realized one slice of turkey was enough for 1 synovi chew, used half of turkey for each half of the treat. Dog ate the first treat but the 2nd one, she dropped out the chew. I blame this on myself since i wrapped the first one in different directions so there was less chance of the treat falling out. But the 2nd treat i just wrapped it in one direction like a cigarette or something. Oh well, i'm still pretty happy about this, since i really want to prevent any worsening of her arthritis problems (like i saw today), like i heard sometimes it can lead to bad falls and than a broken leg ;\

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmm had a semi-success today, and i realized one slice of turkey was enough for 1 synovi chew, used half of turkey for each half of the treat. Dog ate the first treat but the 2nd one, she dropped out the chew. I blame this on myself since i wrapped the first one in different directions so there was less chance of the treat falling out. But the 2nd treat i just wrapped it in one direction like a cigarette or something.
When I had to give pills to a very fussy cocker I used genoa salami, which is cheap, tasty, and something novel for the dog. Although it's anything but health food an advantage is that because it's fatty it conforms itself to the pill. Dry turkey breast falls apart; trust me, I tried it more than once.

However, my little dog only went through a single slice of salami for multiple pillings.

I give little Benji Cosequin DS which is said to have roast beef and cheese flavoring. Arby's! He eats them like a treat but he will eat "raw" pills in his food also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We gave Bindi these...

Joint Care 3

after her knee surgery.

She loves them and thinks they are treats.

With any product, you should try presenting it as a treat that you are sure she will just love! She may be sensing your apprehension that she won't like things, and therefore not like it.:)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
If your dog is falling down on the stairs because of her joint problems, she's going to need something a lot stronger than joint supplements. I definitely feel like they do some good in the very long term, but they are in no way as effective as anti-inflammatories and pain medicine.

Have you tried swimming? It's a low impact exercise...easy on the joints and many dogs enjoy it. Or can be taught to enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Not sure it is just the joint supplement but Sassy was stumbling and having trouble jumping to the window seat before and she is back in business now. She is generally feeling better due to a higher protein food and better hydration as well. No pain meds at all. I can see she extends better with the supplement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the other product recommendations. Well today i tried something a little different, and decided to see what adding some salami would do, but i only have pepperoni currently. So what i did was wrap one half of the treat with turkey but than i took a slice of pepperoni and stuffed it in the front opening and made sure the treat was more at the front too. This seemed to work 100% of the time out of my 3 attempts (my first attempt i just tried turkey by itself), so i was able to give my dog 50% of the recommended dosage aka 1 and a half treats. I'm not sure if i just stuffed the pepperoni in there good enough or that it also stuck a bit to the turkey to keep the treat from falling out the front. And another trick i've been using it leaving my hand about 2-3 inches below her mouth, to try to reduce any thought in her mind about dropping the food out. So far, so good i guess.

Just wondering now, and this might come off a bit overconfident over this new improvement, but wondering if i could get away with wrapping the whole treat up instead of just a half, but idk. As right now it's like i gotta give it to her 6 times a day, which is okay but i just get worried about like the more times you do it, the more chance for her to drop out the treat. Out of the failed attempts, somehow the treat falls out so idk maybe should just forego the turkey + pepperoni idea and go for just salami, seems like there's hardly any chance of the treat accidently falling away from the salami but idk yet.

Another idea i was thinking about is if i ever order any of those supplements in powder form, is it possible i could pour powder on the meat and roll it up and than give it to the dog or you think dog wouldn't like the taste? ;\ Probably wouldn't work i guess. Guess i'm just looking for more convenience, as i originally expected to just put the stuff in her food bowl and that would be that. Oh well, i'll stick with what i'm doing now and as long as she doesn't spit out the treats than should be fine. Thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've found that a little dab of peanut butter will usually cause dogs to eat almost any pill. Although, I did have a Cocker Spaniel who was smart enough to lick all the peanut butter off and then hide the pill, so you might want to watch your dog to make sure he doesn't do this. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going to try some of these recommendations. My 9 year old Lab, Coco, is showing more and more hip issues, but is the pickiest Lab EVER. Doesn't like peanut butter, doesn't like most biscuit brands. Will skip hot dogs or pieces of cheese if she suspects pills. Either skips dinner or will pull the pills out of soft food and spit them on the floor. Does that with veggies, too, if I try to add some to help her slim down. I have even tried wrapping a supplement in bacon. Worse, we have a 9 month old puppy who will eat Coco's leavings, including dosed food and pills. I need to find a supplement with a flavor Coco actually likes. I had a dog with a serious ailment years ago that I had to force medication down her throat twice a day for 7 months, and I hope never to put an animal through that kind of trauma again. I just want to help her move and run without so much ache, but she doesn't make it easy.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
just throwing this out there...I adopted an overweight Lab a few years ago..her joints were bad and she had a hard time getting in and out of the car, walking any distance, etc. I took her to a Rehab Vet who gave her acupuncture and water therapy. I am convinced that doing this once a week extended her life in a good way. After the first acupuncture treatment she jumped in the car with little effort. I cried. I know many don't think acupuncture works but I am a believer.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
This is a twelve year old thread and the original poster hasn't been active here in a long time. I'm closing this to further replies. Feel free to make your own threads, or join in any of our current discussions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.