Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be a first time dog owner, but am having trouble finding a breed. Help?
My mom is fine with letting me adopt one as long as it's
  • A small dog
  • Not a chihuahua
  • Not too furry
  • Not too aggressive
  • Not too energetic
(I understand energy level and aggression is probably more based on the dog's individual personality and not entirely based on breed so focus more on the top 3 please)
I'm having trouble finding one that meets all this criteria. Also I know that most dog life spans are long so i'd like a dog that could go on a plane with me if I have to relocate for whatever reason one day. So these breeds are out:
  • American Bulldog
  • Boston Terrier
  • Boxer
  • English or French Bulldog
  • King Charles Spaniel
  • Lhasa Apso
  • Pug
  • Shar-Pei
  • Shih Tzu

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
What do you mean by "not too furry"? As in, shedding, you don't want to do much grooming, what?

Also, chihuahuas are pretty great dogs. They're playful and intelligent but mellow, small, not 'too furry', don't shed very much, can travel on board with you, are allowed pretty much everywhere.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
What do you mean by "not too furry"? As in, a non shedding dog (like a Poodle which will need regular grooming and trimming) or a short haired dog?

How small is small? Under 10 lbs, under 25 lbs?

If you don't mind long haired breeds, maybe the Havanese? requires grooming but is a non-shedding coat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally have nothing against chihuahuas, I think my mom had a bad experience with them when she was younger o.o Not too furry, I think she means short haired. We saw this one dog she liked and I remember she liked that it was short haired (all though that was probably due to a nice hair cut). Unfortunately that dog was on hold for adoption so we couldn't take her home :(

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would just go to a shelter and tell them what you're looking for.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
If you're going to adopt an adult dog, then you have the advantage of meeting the dog and seeing energy and personality and coat etc so breed isn't very important any more (and of course many of the dogs available to adopt are mixes anyway).

Short haired dogs are easy to groom and bathe but remember that they will shed all over.

Go on petfinder.com and look for what small dogs are available in your area. As an example, I searched NYC (since I knew there'd be tons of dogs in a major city) so dogs like these might be the types of dogs to look at
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26249303
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26527676
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26286305

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Breed has a lot to do with energy levels. Aggression is a toss up some dogs are bred to be dog aggressive or protective. but with your little breeds they were generally not bred for those reasons :) So yes it may be a individual thing.

From my experience most dogs have a lot of energy :p but some more then others. Small dogs are a lot of times energetic. So this is something you'll need have to think about. All dogs will need some level of stimulation and something to burn off their energy. Getting them nice and tired by walks and hard play will help :) If you want to cut back on that maybe get a adult dog so you skip the really active puppy year.

With that said there are more energetic breeds then others. Terriers may be a slightly hyperactive because the smaller ones were not bred to be companion dogs but vermin killing dogs. So they have very active independent minds. Most dogs have been put into a home as a companion dog even though they are bred for much more active things. this creates bored naughty dogs if their needs are not met. This goes many of the small breeds too.

that said this is list of dogs you could look in too. Each with their pro's and cons. so research well!

Dachshund - I love these dogs they have great personalities, bred to hunt small animals into burrows including badgers. Dachs actually means badger so don't let these little dogs fool you they are tenacious hunters. although they have been bred slightly smaller sometimes. They can be a handful. but not so hyperactive as terriers in my opinion. Also you need to be careful with their long backs which can get problems. Their independent thinking makes for a interesting relationship :)

French Bulldog - These small dogs may not be hyper active or long haired but they are certainly not low maintenance they are usually unhealthy. Their personalities are amazing and cute and clownish but you have to be prepared to spend money and know what sort of care they need! Most of the time the litters have to be born by a C-section and the male dogs have a difficult time breeding naturally also making them very expensive to purchase but there are frenchie rescues out there. ( these dogs are victims to the human desire to have a dog look a certain way regardless of the problems it causes with a dog...a dog that cant breed or birth easily is very sad! )

Pembroke Welsh Corgi - This may be worth a look for you! they are wonderful dogs. With silly personalities! Active but not hyper active in my opinion. They need a little more brushing but no need for the groomers. Their hair coat is thick. Very friendly dogs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To the OP- you are having hard time finding such breed because it simply doesn't exist. I read many such posts from people who compile laundry lists of requirements, only to end with a mutt. Dogs are not computer programs you can order "custom made". Usually people fall in love with a dog or breed and try to adapt it to their needs, or simply pick one at a rescue.
Also you mention "small breeds" and then speak of American Bulldogs and Boxers. These are big dogs.
One breed I became impressed with at dog shows, is the miniature Scnautzer. Bold Personality, charm and intelligence, packed in a small package. Maybe you want to take a look at these.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have a dachshund mix from the SPCA and he fits your criteria! I don't know what he's mixed with, but he's short haired, doesn't shed much, weighs 19 lbs fully grown (stands 8 inches to shoulder!), he doesn't require a ton of exercise - we take him to the park for an hour or so every day to walk and play with his friends, and play with him in the house a few times a day for 15-20 minutes, and he sleeps most of the rest of the time. He's not aggressive, he's a snuggler! He knows lots of commands and tricks and loves doing them for treats! His purebred dachshund friends are a little barkier than he is, especially the minis!! but he isn't a huge barker. He alert barks when people walk by or come to the house, but he also recognizes the neighbors and doesn't bark when they come home or are outside or anything. Not knowing what he's mixed with, I can't exactly recommend his "breed," but I can recommend you check out your local shelters and see what they've got! I couldn't've purposefully bred a better dog for us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm aware my mom is being ridiculous with her demands. I think I can wear her down for most of the list. American Bulldogs and Boxers were only mentioned because if I have to relocate by air some breeds are not allowed to be flown. I just copied down the full list of no fly dogs. Sorry :)
To the OP- you are having hard time finding such breed because it simply doesn't exist. I read many such posts from people who compile laundry lists of requirements, only to end with a mutt. Dogs are not computer programs you can order "custom made". Usually people fall in love with a dog or breed and try to adapt it to their needs, or simply pick one at a rescue.
Also you mention "small breeds" and then speak of American Bulldogs and Boxers. These are big dogs.
One breed I became impressed with at dog shows, is the miniature Scnautzer. Bold Personality, charm and intelligence, packed in a small package. Maybe you want to take a look at these.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What about a papillon? I never owned one so i can't comment on their energy level, but the ones i have met have been very sweet!They have long hair, but it's not that much or that thick compared to other breeds

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you i'll add to my list of dog breeds to check out. You all have been very helpful with my ridiculous dilemma. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i LOVE the miniature schnauzer, but all of the ones i have met have had a LARGE amount of prey drive, were VERY energetic, and some of the ones i've met had dog selective tendencies, idk if this would be the best choice for the OP cause he says "non aggressive" i do not know if this includes other animal aggression, and also the dogs energy level..

To the OP don't just take our suggestions, look up each breed and research as much as you can about it before making your final choice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you I will :)
i LOVE the miniature schnauzer, but all of the ones i have met have had a LARGE amount of prey drive, were VERY energetic, and some of the ones i've met had dog selective tendencies, idk if this would be the best choice for the OP cause he says "non aggressive" i do not know if this includes other animal aggression, and also the dogs energy level..

To the OP don't just take our suggestions, look up each breed and research as much as you can about it before making your final choice

·
Registered
409 Posts
Westie...of course, non shedding, loveable, not hyper, very smart and trainable, great to fly with...I have had three, love them all....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Do you want to avoid a dog with prey drive that may really want to kill rodents and other small animals?And with some breeds who have more potential to be animal aggressive?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Papillons are high energy and have long coats.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Papillons are high energy and have long coats.
Like i said, i didn't know about their energy level, and i mentioned that they have long hair, but do not have as thick of a coat as other breeds...Which is why i told the OP to research further as it's not a breed i will ever own so i haven't invested any research into them

1 - 20 of 29 Posts