Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I adopted a 2 year old Boston Terrier. She's a great little dog and she seems to have been trained somewhat in her previous life.

The problem is... She is clearly trained to eliminate outside... She runs to the door after eating so we know she has to go. But we need to paper train (or litter box train) her since we will each need to be away from the home for 8-9 hours starting in a few weeks.

So far... we just CAN'T get her to go inside. We'd even be happy if she would make a mistake and poop somewhere so we could put it on the papers for her to recognize the next time. But she's just holding it!!

It's been over 24 hours, and we still haven't seen her poop! (even when we caved and took her for a walk last night after she wouldn't pee indoors)

I feel so bad that she's probably uncomfortable, and I really just want to go and take her outside anyways. But I'm scared that this will only confuse her more and she'll never understand that we want her to go inside.

We just don't want her to have to wait all day when we're at work/school during the day. I want her to be able to go whenever she pleases.

I've litterbox trained a dog before, but that was a puppy who wasn't trained in any way. From what I've read, it's certainly possible to "teach an old dog a new trick", but I'm worried that she's in pain or something right now. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Almost all adult dogs can hold it for 8-9 hours easily. I wouldn't try to confuse her with reversing her potty training.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Forgive me for laughing but most people have the opposite problem. This is an adult dog, there is no issue with her holding her urine for 8 to 9 hours. Trust me, you want her to hold it like she should til you get home. You can always hire a dog walker to let her out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The problem is... She is clearly trained to eliminate outside...
Sorry, how is this a problem?

She runs to the door after eating so we know she has to go. But we need to paper train (or litter box train) her since we will each need to be away from the home for 8-9 hours starting in a few weeks.
Why do you want to paper train her?? It's perfectly normal to be away that long, and as a 2 year old, she should be fine.

So far... we just CAN'T get her to go inside.
Again...why is this a problem? In my opinion, when situations allow for it, dogs should be trained and allowed to eliminate where it is most natural for them: OUTSIDE. She's not a cat.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider. Don't cause her any un-needed stress or confusion by reversing her potty training. It is absolutely natural for dogs to eliminate outdoors, and if she has already learned this, why change it? She's an adult dog who should easily be able to hold it in until you get home. And if not, hire a dog walker. It's simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone,

We heeded your advice and decided to give up on the paper training. I thought that 8-9 hours was too long for her to wait, as many people have told me she should go out every 4-5 hours.

But once we're both away from the home during the day, she'll just have to wait until we get home. I'm leaving the litter box in her area in case she gets any ideas though..

=)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks everyone,

We heeded your advice and decided to give up on the paper training. I thought that 8-9 hours was too long for her to wait, as many people have told me she should go out every 4-5 hours.

But once we're both away from the home during the day, she'll just have to wait until we get home. I'm leaving the litter box in her area in case she gets any ideas though..

=)
Leaving a litter box with a dog who is alone for 8-9 hours may not be the best idea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.