Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five month old Lab/Border Collie/Mereema. She is so perfect when it is just me and her, but the minute she sees another dog or person she goes absolutely insane.
She stops listening completely, plus she will start jumping and going nuts, from licking their feet to biting their mitts and scarves (it is currently winter of course).

I am at my witts end. I don't know what to do. My obedience instructor has informed me that Lady is very dominant, and so I don't know if that is part of the problem.

She is never crazy with me, as I won't let her. It's not a matter of she needs to get used to you either, as she still goes semi crazy with my boyfriend, and she's been around him as much as me.

Could it maybe be we don't give her enough attention? So she seeks it from other people? I'm just so lost. I have no idea what to do but I'm sick of her misbehaving when we go on walks and out to the park.

I want to let her off leash but she just can't remain calm.

HELP PLEASE!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well, first off, dominance is not a thing with dogs. It's not real, so that's definitely not the problem.

I think you could call this reactive, and all in all, it sounds friendly. That's a serious blessing at the least.
Work on her focus and impulse control. Get her to focus on you. When she watches you, praise and treat. Just practice, practice with her. Start off in a controlled area, then work on it out in public or enlist friends to help you. If she looks at you, focuses on you, praise and treat.

As for letting her off-leash, work on her recall in a controlled space, on leash. This can sometimes be a long process, but it's worth it. Choose a good word you wouldn't normally use for other things and don't over use it, or her name. Make coming to you funner than whatever else it is she's doing.

To me this sounds like just excitement. She's a puppy, so that's a part in it. Life's a game right now and will be for a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, first off, dominance is not a thing with dogs. It's not real, so that's definitely not the problem.

I think you could call this reactive, and all in all, it sounds friendly. That's a serious blessing at the least.
Work on her focus and impulse control. Get her to focus on you. When she watches you, praise and treat. Just practice, practice with her. Start off in a controlled area, then work on it out in public or enlist friends to help you. If she looks at you, focuses on you, praise and treat.

As for letting her off-leash, work on her recall in a controlled space, on leash. This can sometimes be a long process, but it's worth it. Choose a good word you wouldn't normally use for other things and don't over use it, or her name. Make coming to you funner than whatever else it is she's doing.

To me this sounds like just excitement. She's a puppy, so that's a part in it. Life's a game right now and will be for a while.
Agree with all of this. Also the more mental and physical stimulation she gets, the better. Try to add in more walks, or fetch or whatever game it is she likes to play to help physically tire her and work on attention games and other basic commands for the mental and slowly increase distractions as she masters them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds pretty simple. Essentially we just want her to realize that coming to us and focusing on is the best thing to do, and letting her be hyper is really just a part of her being young.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It may take a while, but just stick with it.
The process will get frustrating at times, but, again, stick with it. It'll pay off in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts