Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Smokey is 10 years old and had been eating ole roy for a long time. It was cheap for my parents to buy. He recently started limping really bad and I found out that he was arthritis in his left elbow. My vet gave me some tablets and we tried those but they didn't help. So my dads gf got him some liquid medicine called finish line. I started doing research and found out about all the stuff he should have in his diet. So I have been giving him Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul (senior dog formula) I mix his finish line(2 table spoons) with the canned chicken soup with the dried chicken soup in the mornings. I wanted him to have more Glucosamine and Chondroitin. He really likes the dog food with the canned, but wont eat much of it when it just plan dry. He hasn't been on it long, but he does have Diarrhea. Is is because of the switch of food. I did mix the chicken soup with ole roy so it wouldn't be a total switch. Has anyones dogs benefited from Chicken soup? I want his elbow to get better. Please any advice or personal experience??I just switched his food 7-5-09. Also i didnt switch gradually witch wasnt good. I just learned that yesterday. I just poured the left over old into the new bag.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
His stool is probably a result of the quick switch, so I would just stay on the new food. Barring any allergies to the new food, his digestive system will adjust in a few days to a week. You did the dog a great favor by switching foods! Good for you! Ol Roy is one of the worst "foods" on the market.

You can mix in smaller and smaller amounts of the canned (and increase the kibble amount) and add a little warm water as the kibble amounts get larger until he's eating all kibble. I always add warm water to the kibble and wait about 10-15 minutes before feeding. This brings out the taste and aroma of the food and makes it more appetizing.

You can also get Glucosamine, MSM and Chondroitin from the pharmacy at Wal-Mart or wherever you shop and give him additional amounts. I don't know how much is in your food, but in my experience, it isn't usually enough to have much of an effect. My dog takes 1000 mg MSM, 500 mg Glucosamine and 400 mg Chondroitin, and 1000mg Ester C per day, plus 1/2 t powdered yucca root and a 1/8 t of Turmeric per day. This is the "cocktail" that works best for her. Any or all of those may help, but I'd up the amounts of Glucosamine and Chondroitin and add MSM and Ester C first. The C helps in the absorption of the other 3.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My dogs always had upset when the new food got to be 50%. It was only loose stool so not really a big deal, just hard to clean up. I do read now that adding a probiotic can help the change over. Even try a spoonful of yogurt in the mixture if he will eat it. There is a dog food company that sells a product especially for switching foods.http://www.holisticselect.com/HS_Transition.html

I am not suggesting you do all the therapies this woman has done for her arthritic dog but something on this page may help.http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

Sassy is 15.75 years old and can still jump on the sofa and window seat just fine. She has been on the glucosamine + supplements for years and I can tell it really helps her.

Good luck, if nothing else he loves the new food!

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The food has a high amount of Glucosamine and Chondroitin
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 22.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 12.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 180 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4% Minimum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg Minimum
L-Carnitine * 40 mg/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum
Glucosamine Hydrochloride * 1200 mg/kg Minimum
Chondroitin Sulfate * 400 mg/kg Minimum

These are the indgretients

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Thank you I think thoes might help. I want him to feel better he Favors his leg alot. I also give him the HIP ACTION treats (and thoes have extra Glucosamine and Chondroitin)and we give him half an asprin 325mg i give half in the morning and teh other half at like 5

I didn't know how bad ol Roy was untill yesterday when I was researching food all day and found out how bad it was. I never bought the food untill now and I wanted to get him better food for seniors that would hopefully help his leg

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The supplement rate sounds great on paper but that means you need to feed a kilogram to your dog daily to get 1000 mg and 4oo mg into him. A bit too much food I would think. Look at dogaware and add up how much you are giving him now and compare to how much is a theraputic dose. I bet your dog hopes he gets a few more of the Hip Action treats, those sound yummy!

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He gets 2 hip action treats and I feed him the amoun that it says on the bag for his weight. Is that good to get the right amount of stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts