Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP,
LOL....My new dog who we got from a shelter (6 days ago) and do not know anything about her history, gets car sick. She is good for about 3 minutes, then starts to drool heavy and then she gets sick. What do I DO? I want to be able to go to the dog park, vacations, etc., this is something that I never heard of experienced before with the other dog I owned? Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This has happened to me with my two puppies. However, it only happened once for each of them on the ride home from the shelter. I agree with the reply above about desensitizing her.
Bring her back into the car for more rides and try to make her comfortable either with a blanket or a toy and open windows. I also suggest always being prepared and having a container handy just in case :) Eventually, they get accustomed to it, and actually love their car rides!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
This happened with my new puppy, too. She not only drooled and got sick, she began to associate cars in general with BAD things happening, so would freeze in her tracks, and wouldn't budge whenever she saw a car!

I used desensitization and counter conditioning along with giving her ginger prior to going into the car. Ginger cookies, and also candied ginger, the latter of which was more effective. The first sign that things were better was seeing her sitting up and looking around - instead of curling up in a ball. Then, she actually got into the car and out of the car BY HERSELF, instead of me having to pick her up and put her in, and physically remove her. YAY! All is well. Took about 3 wks.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Inner ear problems can also cause severe car sickness and desensitizing won't work in those cases. Dramamine is often recommended by the vet for that scenario.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My pooch was car sick too for the first bit, we rescued him @ 9 months and he'd hardly car travelled at that point. If your patient and practise short trips it will likely go away before two long. I still shudder at the projectile vomit *lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts