Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have recently taken on a 3-4yr old rescue cocker x(charlie). He has been in kennels for over a year and we do not know his history before this. He is very gentle and loving but not very food orientatied which makes clicker training hard. I have also a 3 yr oldLab (x staffie?!!) -poppy,who has basic training and whilst not perfect is mostly a joy around the house and to walk off lead. Since charlie's arrival we have chaos! any item esp dog beds is now a tug of war toy till total destuction (on my 3rd dog bed since his arrival!) and the garden is now littered with large holes!! and both dogs have become hooligans!!
My main issue is this - despite a huge garden I find they are too boisterous unless they have had a walk, but Charlie is not yet lead trained (pulls like a train!) so should I give the walks a miss until he is (if I leave him alone while I walk Poppy he howls).
I suppose my question is one of priorities! what first - the lead training, the not jumping up training the not digging training......help! (can't walk Poppy with him as she is too interested in his treats!) I have two small children so time is a bit limited but am doing my best (or my husband will leave home)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would start with the Cocker and some teeny tiny pieces of hot dog as training treats. Surely he would like hot dogs? One hot dog can be cut into 100 pieces. Lol! I would try the lead first with the Cocker ... by himself ... alone with you .... and you can work on the jumping thing at the same time. Surely he will get excited while dragging you down the road ... and surely jump up on you or anyone he meets? I have had the same issues ... only with a much much larger beast! Lol! :) I would tire out the Cocker ...... then on to your Lab. :D

I would put the dog bed(s) up and out of reach for a bit. Maybe get them a real tug rope. Mine have to have a big tug toy all the time. All three of them play at the same time with it. One is always Monkey-in-the-middle! Lol! :) Be sure to supervise though .... as they can eat it! Not a good situation once swallowed. Put it up when you cannot be there.

Holes ..... I am not sure about other than giving them a designated area or a sand box to hide toys in ... and teach them this area is allowed.

Just some ideas to ponder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - yes will try the hot dog - have tried pepperami! and he does like it but the smells out walking are better!(I guess if i'd had a concrete floor for a year I'd be pretty hard to lead train, too!) should i leave their beds out of reach when i'm not home do you think? they have about 10 toys from tugs to balls on ropes (nothing edible for labrador!!)

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Exercise the heck out of both of them. The only way to lead train is to actually walk the dog, you could try a game of fetch or tug first to burn a little energy and then get out and walk. Consider one of the no-pull harnesses while you are working on leash manners. Walk each dog separately and also together. When you walk them together, both dogs should be on their own lead, even if Poppy is off-lead trained.
If you don't walk them, they will only behave worse as they get more and more bored and stir-crazy around the house. Try a doggie backpack with a little bit of weight in it to make walking more tiring- start at about 3% of body weight and have them carry no more than about 10% of body weight in the pack after getting fit. Hills are tiring. Swimming is very tiring if that's an option. If you have open areas (fields or quiet public parks w/o many people or dogs) then a long line (50 ft rope or leash or horse lunge line) can let a dog run and sniff while you don't have to keep up with him so much.

Yard time just isn't a substitute for walking. Even if they run around the yard, there isn't all that extra mental stimulus that comes from sniffing and listening and looking out on a walk.

They shouldn't be left alone together at this point so they shouldn't be able to destroy the dog beds together. They might destroy them alone, but maybe not. If Charlie destroys the dog bed while alone, he needs A)more exercise and B)try crate training

Holes- the sandbox or designated digging area works for a lot of dogs, but generally the digging will let up if the dog is exercised enough. Not necessarily stop digging completely, but be easier to say "Ah ah" and have them stop

Training sessions (individual)- make them work their minds! It is hard work to think. Of course work on the basics like sit and stay and come, but you can also work on things like picking up specific items, teach a "go to bed" command (very useful), shake left and right, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts