Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted a 7 week old Siberian Husky yesterday and am in need of advice on a few things.

1. She cries and cries and cries when she is in her crate. I put treats in the back, put a clock next to it (for the ticking), she has her toys in it, a blanket, and she just cries. I slept for maybe an hour last night. She loves to sleep on my lap and is currently curled up on the floor sleeping, but the minute she goes into that crate, she cries. When I let her out this morning, she immediately tried to jump onto the couch. I put her up there and she fell right asleep. How do I get her to accept the crate? How can I help her feel comfortable and when will this improve? I am super tired and am not comfortable sleeping when she is out and roming about.

2. She smells a little strange- not like a dog smell; I really can't explain it. She was dirty and muddy when I got her and I stopped at Petco on the way home to have her bathed. She still smells strange. What can I do about this?

3. It is normal to think you may have made a mistake? I wanted a puppy for a year or so. I am a teacher, so I waited for the summer to get one since I have the time to spend with her, training her and what not. I tried to adopt from the humane society, and waited several weeks to try and find a female puppy. I was unsuccessful. On craigslist in my area, all you could find were boxers and pitbulls. So, after about 3-4 weeks of trying to adopt a pet and every pet I wanted getting snatched before I could get it, I went with a local breeder. I wanted something ready right away (since I now go back to work in a month) and ended up with a husky. I read about them before hand, so I did not go into this blind. I know they have separation anxiety and that they will pretty much destroy my house. But, now, after getting her, I have the feeling maybe I should have waited. Especially because I have spent $600-700 on this whole thing in the last 24 hours (her, large crate, toys, food, bath, shampoo, etc....) I keep thinking that I will not be able to take it and have to give her to my sister and be out a small fortune. Hopefully this feeling will go away and is only present because I am exhausted :(

I am a first time pet owner in a sense. We had a golden retriever when I was growing up and my sister got a puppy several years ago that I helped train (we both still lived at home). My mom also got a puppy a few months ago. So, I am not going into this completely blind and uneducated. However, neither of their puppies cried like this.

TIA for any advice :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
1. She's just a little puppy so it will take time. Most people experience sleepless nights in puppyhood. I would suggest putting her in there during the day for 1 minute, and slowly build up the time. Walk away, and come back. Make her feel safe in the crate. Make sure you do not give her attention or let her out of the crate if she is crying or barking. You can try putting a shirt you have already worn so it has your scent in with her and maybe put a blanket into the dryer before she goes in so its nice and warm for her. She's use to sleeping with mom and a bunch of littermates to help keep her warm.

2. I'm not sure what the smell is, did you have her vet checked before you brought her home? It is recommended that you bring her to have a vet visit within the first 7 days that you have her. Could be anything from bad breath, yeast infection, to something worse.

3. Yes, most people go through that. It can last a long time. I'm also a teacher, and I think that was a good plan to get a dog during the summer. You can have your naps during the day if you need to. It's only the first day, don't be so hard on yourself. It's a transition. You need to watch her at all times so she doesn't get into a destructive habit and start working her mind and lots of play times. Purchase a kong for her (actually I'd get two). Google frozen kong reciepes and make whatever one you would like. You can also just moisten her kibble in water and put that in, add some peanut butter (layer it) and a little tiny bit of cheese for a simple one. Don't forget to put it in the freezer. When you find yourself needing a break give this to her. The reason for having two, so you ALWAYS have a back up. Use the crate to give yourself a break. When you can't watch her, its okay to put her in the crate.

Get your puppy and your moms puppy together to play for socialization (if they have both had all their shots). This will tire them out and give you some time to relax too.

I adopted a puppy April 08 from a puppy mill. She was taken away from her mom and littermates too soon and no one wanted her because she did not know bite inhibition. You could not be in the same room with this dog without being bitten on your elbow, toes, etc. She was very destructive. She also has very strong jaw power. There were times that I thought "just get her out of here!!!!!!!!!!" but with lots of training she learned that she can't do that and she is now the sweetest dog ever. It took until 6-7 months for her to settle down and learn her manners completly. I taught her the word for toy so she could direct her focus on a toy instead. I still sometimes test her and put my hand in her mouth and she spits it out as fast as she can. Now, occasionally when she gets excited she'll bite our pant legs but we just have to say "nuh uh" and she stops and walks beside you nicely. It IS possible, you are going to have good times and bad times. You can make it through. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes, you should've waited. I would bring her back to the breeder. When getting a dog, you should never just get what is available because the timing suits you best. Huskies are HIGH energy, HIGH maintenance dogs. When you start back to work, will you have at least 2-3 hours daily to exercise her? Will you WANT to exercise her for 2-3 hours daily? What about the shedding? What will you do/what have you planned to do if she does end up with separation anxiety? It is selfish to only take into consideration YOUR losses. Dogs with separation anxiety often seriously injure themselves trying to get out of their crates, and if they manage to get out (Huskies are especially good at this) they can further injure themselves while destroying the house. If you consider $600-700 a small fortune, imagine the vet bills you may incur.

Yes, $600-700 is a lot to lose when you do not gain any physical thing back. But take this as a lesson of patience. Dogs are NOT something you just settle for. You will be loving this animal, caring for this animal, living with this animal for likely 10+ years. Would you just settle for any available man or woman because you wanted to get married before you went back to work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1. She's just a little puppy so it will take time. Most people experience sleepless nights in puppyhood. I would suggest putting her in there during the day for 1 minute, and slowly build up the time. Walk away, and come back. Make her feel safe in the crate. Make sure you do not give her attention or let her out of the crate if she is crying or barking. You can try putting a shirt you have already worn so it has your scent in with her and maybe put a blanket into the dryer before she goes in so its nice and warm for her. She's use to sleeping with mom and a bunch of littermates to help keep her warm.

2. I'm not sure what the smell is, did you have her vet checked before you brought her home? It is recommended that you bring her to have a vet visit within the first 7 days that you have her. Could be anything from bad breath, yeast infection, to something worse.

3. Yes, most people go through that. It can last a long time. I'm also a teacher, and I think that was a good plan to get a dog during the summer. You can have your naps during the day if you need to. It's only the first day, don't be so hard on yourself. It's a transition. You need to watch her at all times so she doesn't get into a destructive habit and start working her mind and lots of play times. Purchase a kong for her (actually I'd get two). Google frozen kong reciepes and make whatever one you would like. You can also just moisten her kibble in water and put that in, add some peanut butter (layer it) and a little tiny bit of cheese for a simple one. Don't forget to put it in the freezer. When you find yourself needing a break give this to her. The reason for having two, so you ALWAYS have a back up. Use the crate to give yourself a break. When you can't watch her, its okay to put her in the crate.

Get your puppy and your moms puppy together to play for socialization (if they have both had all their shots). This will tire them out and give you some time to relax too.

I adopted a puppy April 08 from a puppy mill. She was taken away from her mom and littermates too soon and no one wanted her because she did not know bite inhibition. You could not be in the same room with this dog without being bitten on your elbow, toes, etc. She was very destructive. She also has very strong jaw power. There were times that I thought "just get her out of here!!!!!!!!!!" but with lots of training she learned that she can't do that and she is now the sweetest dog ever. It took until 6-7 months for her to settle down and learn her manners completly. I taught her the word for toy so she could direct her focus on a toy instead. I still sometimes test her and put my hand in her mouth and she spits it out as fast as she can. Now, occasionally when she gets excited she'll bite our pant legs but we just have to say "nuh uh" and she stops and walks beside you nicely. It IS possible, you are going to have good times and bad times. You can make it through. :)

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of them!

I am just exhausted. I didn't expect her to sleep through the night, I just expected a few hours!

Yes, you should've waited. I would bring her back to the breeder. When getting a dog, you should never just get what is available because the timing suits you best. Huskies are HIGH energy, HIGH maintenance dogs. When you start back to work, will you have at least 2-3 hours daily to exercise her? Will you WANT to exercise her for 2-3 hours daily? What about the shedding? What will you do/what have you planned to do if she does end up with separation anxiety? It is selfish to only take into consideration YOUR losses. Dogs with separation anxiety often seriously injure themselves trying to get out of their crates, and if they manage to get out (Huskies are especially good at this) they can further injure themselves while destroying the house. If you consider $600-700 a small fortune, imagine the vet bills you may incur.

Yes, $600-700 is a lot to lose when you do not gain any physical thing back. But take this as a lesson of patience. Dogs are NOT something you just settle for. You will be loving this animal, caring for this animal, living with this animal for likely 10+ years. Would you just settle for any available man or woman because you wanted to get married before you went back to work?

Maybe I didn't word my thoughts well. I didn't 'settle'. Settling would have been getting a pitbull in my case- something I completely didn't want. I really wanted to 'rescue' a puppy and give it a home, but didn't want an adult rescue because of all the things my cousin has had to deal with.
A husky was something I wanted, but was unsure of due to their destructiveness. However, my sister was told her dog would be awful and she is just fine. Actually, she is quite lazy.
I didn't go into this blind- I read everything. I know she needs a lot of excercise and I am prepared for that. Just like I am prepared to deal with her eating everything. I just was not prepared for the crying that doesn't end unless she is on my lap.
And, to me, $680 in one day is a small fortune. I know pets are expensive. I have had pets before and I know the responsibilities. I am just tired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts