Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Harness or Collar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a collar for my lab. Am I being a bad parent for not at least trying to use a harness? My wife has been complaining at me for a while on this, so any feedback I can reassure her with would be helpful :) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a collar on all 3 of my dogs but use a harness on one for walks ect. My Dobie pulls allot if i just use his collar but not with the harness. Just use what is comfortable for your dog.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm currently using a collar for my lab. Am I being a bad parent for not at least trying to use a harness? My wife has been complaining at me for a while on this, so any feedback I can reassure her with would be helpful :) .
If your dog doesn't pull, a collar is great. Some prefer it if they use leash cues (gentle pressure in various combinations to convey different commands, like heel or sit) because the dog feels it more, though I personally have found that my dog feels it on the harness just fine. If your dog pulls, though, having a collar on could cause throat problems, so you should use a harness, at least until you have finished training. Also, if you use a long-line, you'll need to use a harness to prevent severe injury if the dog runs to the end of the lead. It's a combo of personal preference and practical application.

And, as @Dave T said, a harness often encourages the dog's natural pulling instinct, so it isn't the best idea unless you are also doing loose leash training- if you're training, it's fine.

Reactions: TC1000

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I use a martingale collar for walking my dogs, mainly because a properly adjusted one is darned near impossible to get out of. I use a harness for parkour (where I need to support my dog while on obstacles), nosework (to avoid guiding them, and give them as much freedom of movement as possible) and for tracking (again to avoid guiding them, and avoid getting the line tangled).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts