Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

HELP needed with uncontrollable deaf dog!!! Please!!

549 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  doggiepop 
#1 ·
It won't let me post in the dog training forum yet so I'll just ask here.

My dog is deaf. And we know a little sign language. With me alone he is a great guy.

But honestly guys, living with a roommate now...
This is a nightmare.

He won't let me shower alone, he has to be there with me. He chases my roommates cats. The last place I lived he bit my other roommate unprovoked. He is the sweetest guy with my ferrets but with other dogs he is violent occasionally. I work from home so I can usually be around him. He is violent with food, he cannot be left alone without crapping everywhere and destroying everything. What happens when I start college? What will I do? He is almost unmanageable. It is an every day struggle. My roommate makes me keep on a leash in the house. Please help me guys. I love him so much and I can't bare to give him to someone who isn't patient with his problems.

I have NEVER hit him or been violent with him, but we have punishments. I feel as thought he is the one in control of the relationship. What do I do??

I REALLY need advice. Thanks for your time guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Invest in a professional dog trainer if it's gotten this bad.
Try to find one that focuses on positive reinforcement training so his aggression doesn't get worse.
When was the last time he's been to the vet?
Make sure he checks out okay medically before hiring the trainer.

#6 · (Edited)
I think there are some dogs that simply cannot ever be 100% trustworthy around cats. There is a lot that can be done to improve their interactions, but I really would not want to be in a situation where despite all my efforts my dog hurt or killed a housemate's cat. For one, guilt, and for another, what an interpersonal mess. I know this is easier said than done but I would suggest changing living arrangements as soon as possible so you're not with someone who has pets.

The first thing is safety. If the dog is dangerous around food then he needs to be fed alone, and when people are eating he needs to be elsewhere. Crated, in a separate room, behind a baby gate, something like that.

Have you tried crate training? It'd give him a safe place to be when you are not home (addressing the destruction), when you are showering (addressing this separation anxiety), when food is in the picture (addressing the resource guarding), and when your roommate is upset with him (addressing the household harmony lol).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.