Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some insight that anyone might have with the problem I am currently facing. I apologize in advance for the long post, I just want the entire situation to be clear.

I have a 1 and a half year old, mix breed, female dog named Khaleesi. I found her abandoned as a newborn puppy and hand reared her. I am, however, currently a student and although this year and a half I've been able to be home most of the day with her, I won't be able to next year. I'm afraid being with her a lot of the time has left her with a great deal of separation anxiety and I have sought for help from a qualified animal behavourist for that but in the mean time I thought it might help to get her into a routine. She would normally be used to being inside most of the day with me and then going out for an hour or so in the evenings for a walk etc. but next year I will have full university days where I will be away from 7:30 to 17:00. My idea was to get her used to going out early in the morning then just before leaving to university I would have a short play session with her (she is an extremely hyperactive dog that requires a lot of exercise and attention) and then she would be outside until I come back. I would then take her on a walk, have another play session and she would be inside for the rest of the day.
I thought it would be a good idea to start the routine now while I can still monitor her - especially in terms of her separation anxiety as she is very very destructive. But now I'm afraid I might be making a mistake and causing her more harm then any good - despite my good intentions. She just seems very stressed and I'm afraid she thinks I'm punishing her.
Unfortunately she cannot be inside while I'm away at university because as I mentioned, she is extremely destructive and needs 24/7 surveillance almost.

I love her more than anything - she is really my baby so I only want the best for her.
I greatly appreciate any help on this!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Because she is destructive and prone to separation anxiety, I don't think being outside while you are gone is a good idea. She may still destroy the yard (I'm assuming you have fenced yard?) dig holes, chew any furniture, hoses, and perhaps even try to escape...and succeed.

Is the dog crate trained? A crate can confine the dog so it can't reach items to destroy, or does she break out of it?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah, I'd say crate or X-pen would be the ticket if you wanted an option where you could leave her in. But if you want to leave her outside for half the day, assuming the weather is appropriate to do so, then it is a good idea to get her used to it now. I assume, though, that you have a fenced-in yard and not that you're planning to tether her? Get her some good shade, plenty of water, a comfy bed (if she won't shred it) and some good outside toys to play with (though she might not be interested in playing while you're gone). I would probably introduce the outside time slowly, leaving her out for short periods while you're doing something else (out of sight). Depending on how that goes, gradually increase the time she's outside. Basically, I'd approach it like crate training (or transitioning from a crate to free roaming), and would probably throw a peanut-butter filled kong (or whatever she likes) out with her to keep her occupied initially. I'm sure it will be stressful for her at first but you don't know until you try. Depending on the severity of her SA (and if it's actually SA or not), this whole thing may or may not work for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't crate trained her, thanks so much for the suggestion. I will look into it. I do have a fenced in yard with enough space for her to stretch her legs but yes, she doesn't do much when I'm not with her (despite the kong I leave with peanut butter - always my go-to). But I think rather doing it in increments is a great idea and I will definitely look into crate training. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
So does she actually have separation anxiety, or does she just destroy stuff when not supervised? If it's actual separation anxiety, she'll still have separation anxiety when in the yard, or at least she will when she understands that you are not in the house. I would not feel comfortable leaving her in the yard unsupervised, because she will probably bark, dig, destroy stuff, and escape if she can.

The safest option is always in a crate, in your house. There, it is unlikely neighbors will be irritated by her barking, she is unlikely to be stolen, and she probably isn't going to escape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts