Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help needed for a post-op bored dog!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  3doglady 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a very intelligent (ie naughty when bored!), lively Staffy-Boxer cross, Stanley.
He is a rescue, and I've had him about 18 months now. He's about 3 years and very, very food orientated.
He's quite well trained in obedience and agility and lives happily with my Rottie rescue dog.

6 days ago, the poor little blighter had to have his cruciate ligament rebuilt in his right knee. His pain seems to have subsided a bit and he's on a shed load of pain killers. The stitches are due to be removed in 6 days.
The vets told me no exercise at all for 6 weeks, then very gentle exercise in very small amounts, gently increasing in intensity, for approx 7 months.....

My reason for this posting is by day 3 after the op, he has been desperate to go on his walks. We carry him in and out for him to mooch about the grass and wee and poo, as the vets told us to do, but he is already climbing the walls, desperate to get some stimulation....he must be bored stiff, poor boy :-(

Does anyone have any ideas how I can mentally stimulate him without being too physical, as he's not allowed any exercise? Maybe someone else has 'been here' with their pooch?

I already place doggy treats on his paws and get him to 'leave it', before letting him have them, I have a 'Kong Wobbler' and a 'Buster Food Cube', but both of these require quite a bit of the dog moving about.....

He had a bone today and that has helped, but I can't give him a bone every day for the next 5 weeks...!

Any ideas very gladly received

Many thanks, Claire

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for replying, Hamandeggs, I've been doing loads of clicker work with him, just running out of 'calm' things to teach him!

He's really good at all the basic sit, stay, leave it stuff, (has got his Silver Kennel Club certificate), but I'm trying him on 'tricks' now, like crossing his front paws whilst lying down. I'm just fast running out of ideas:wink:

#4 ·
Oh, I see. How about "spin" and "unwind," left paw/right paw, bow, targeting, army crawl...Or you could get into shaping things, like teach him to blow bubbles in a bowl of water. How about teaching him to collect his toys and put them in a box, or teaching him to fetch his toys by name? The internet is full of clicker training ideas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.