Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help! My tiny dog has some serious fear and aggression issues.

971 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nuclear_Glitter 
#1 ·
I have a 4lb 3.5 year old male yorkie named Fred who seems to hate men, and sometimes children, but I don't know why! I got him at 1.5 years old and don't know what life was like for him before that; he lived with his breeder, a man, and his wife. The man wanted to use Fred as a stud but couldn't because of a hereditary knee problem found in Yorkies, so he was seemingly neglected (fed, watered, bathed, but not pet or loved) until a willing buyer (me) bought him damaged and discounted. Now, whenever I go home to visit my family, Fred chases my dad around constantly barking and nipping at him. Were he a bigger dog, he would've done some damage by now, but thankfully he's never drawn blood. Similarly, if males come over to my apartment, Fred will bark incessantly at them unless I am holding him. He seems to be protective and fearful which leads to his out of control behavior. He also seems to have bad vision which could contribute to his fear. Also, he will have accidents occasionally if he is very worked up, or sometimes if I leave him (go outside) he will poop, seemingly in protest.

For the record, I have implemented many tools in my attempt to rectify Fred's behavior: the thunder shirt, multiple forms of Xanax, a pheromone collar called adaptil, a no-shock bark collar, the sonic egg, having males feed him treats... You name it, I've tried it. The weirdest part is that Fred will sit on the couch next to my dad (or sometimes even in his lap!!) for hours without so much as a growl, but as soon as my dad stands, Fred loses it.

Does anyone know how I can help my neurotic mess of a dog!? I'm desperate.

See less See more
#2 ·
Get more males, and treats your dog CANNOT resist. I know you said you had guys feed him treats before but you need to do it often, and with tons of guys. Have a guy walk around your apartment, and toss treats at him for NOT running. If he starts running around, maybe have the guy stand still for a few moments until the dog stops barking. You need to do this consistently for at least 4-6 weeks to know if it's working at all. If that doesn't work, then try starting outside with it. Maybe he needs to realize guys can be okay, outside of the house before he sees them being okay inside the house.

Hopefully other members have more ideas, because this is an odd issue and I don't have many ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.