Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old standard poodle and she is a very clam, very submissive, and a very well behaved dog. We recently acquired a very energetic 6 month old Australian Shepard puppy. When we got the puppy, she was 12 weeks old. Ever since we got we have struggled with her dominance issues and destructive behaviors. I am about at wits end! We have done everything we can think of to deter her bad behaviors. Recently she started to pee right next to my sleeping adult poodles face. Her and the poodle do not get along well at all. The poodle wants quiet and the puppy wants play, but they are both insanely jealous of each other. I know this was done on purpose because we had just walked her one hour prior to her doing this and she is always doing something to dominate the poodle..... I already feel really bad for the poodle for how the puppy dominates her, but this is a new low..... I don't know how to begin to fix this problem because the poodle doesn't have any interest in standing up for herself.....

Any ideas?!?!?!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you give the new puppy enough exercise and stuff to do? Destructive and disruptive behavior can be the result of the lack of mental and physical stimulation, or not enough of it. It could be that the poodle is the only source of entertainment for your pup, so she takes every chance she gets to have fun. Sometimes young dogs must be taught to respect older dogs. Have you done any obedience training with the new puppy? Does your poodle sleep in the same spot and your puppy consistently pees there? What kind of cleaning produce do you use? Sometimes a regular cleaner just won’t get all the smell out. Do you do anything to stop your puppy from pestering your poodle? Does the puppy have free-range of the house? I don’t think it’s jealousy that your poodle is displaying; it could be annoyance from a rude little puppy. And your puppy could just be imitating that behavior, or enjoying playing really rough and may look like she’s being dominant, but just trying to goat your poodle into playing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband and I work from home and we give both dogs lots of attention. I do admit they could be exercised more, but they get far more than most dogs get. We do lots of obedience training and regular training for mental stimulation. The puppy already knows how to sit, stay, roll over, crawl, speak, spin, drop it, and fetch. We are also trying to teach the Shepard how to catch frisbees. The poodle has 3 spots she always sleeps at, but she also sometimes passes out in random spots when we are playing with them which is what happened today. We normally steam clean the carpets with a pet deodorizer. When we first got the puppy we wanted the poodle and puppy to work it out between themselves so we didn't get involved, but now that she is older and the problem has exalted, we are stepping in. We have recently done a complete 180 in her training process because what we were doing was NOT working. So we took away her kennel and when she does something bad we put her in time out and make her stay in time out until we release her (time out= a bed out in the open where she can see us, but can't play with us until we let her). At night she goes into our bathroom and sleeps there. The poodle does definitely get annoyed with the puppy. She will barricade herself away from the puppy when she has had enough, but that's the most we can get her to do to stand-up for herself. The puppy just doesn't care how you tell her 'No' she has no respect for us or the other dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should also be said that the poodle recently lost her companion (a much older standard poodle) and the puppy was brought into the home to help everyone with that loss. I really want the poodle and the puppy to have a good relationship and respect each other. But, I have never had this breed and poodles are MUCH less stubborn than Australian Shepherds - I am totally out of my comfort zone with this puppy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it’s a good thing your poodle is walking away from the puppy when she’s had enough. It could be worse; your poodle could of attack the shepherd when she’s fed up. I’ve never had or handled a shepherd before, but I’ve read and heard they are very very high energy. They’re working dogs after all. You need to up the exercise and training more and see if that has any affect. The higher the intelligence, the more mental stimulation they need. You might try giving your dog a “job” something they do every day and work hard at. Frisbee is a good thing that you’re doing; you can also try to train her as a trick dog as well. Shepherds are really smart and you’ll be surprised by what they can do, and how fast they can learn! The more you tired her out, the better behave she’ll be, or just be too tired to make trouble, lol.

Do you have any set routine for the shepherd? How often do you take her out? And have you done any crate training with her? Does she have to work for everything she receives, or does she get everything that she wants? Do you enforce the rules of the house, and follow through? How long have you been giving her the time outs? If it’s been a while now, you might have to change strategies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts