Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lhasa apso had really matted fur after coming back from the kennels, and after his fur had been shaved off (except for his tail) he's been acting really strangely. He doesn't play any more, doesn't perform tricks, doesn't chew on treats and bones, and isn't coming when called. He doesn't follow us around but scratches and licks himself all the time and rubbing his body onto furniture. He's looking really sad and it's been three days now and his behaviour isn't changing. He isn't peeing in our garden, only on grass. What shall we do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I shaved my mom's dog once, it took him a while to get used to it. Just imagine feeling the air on your skin for the first time, it's another world! I guess it's possible he could have picked up something from the kennel, but it seems like he is just freaked out. Having the shorter hair may have also given an allergy better access to his skin and caused a little irritation and made him lick and scratch.

If he is eating fine and what not I would wait just a little longer before worrying. Hopefully someone else will have more ideas and advice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From what I've seen of the lhasa we had when I was in elementary school, and the furball mal I have now, that's a fairly typical reaction to being shaved. The dogs get over it within a few days. It's important to not make a big deal about them acting upset or embarrassed. Some dogs will milk that, and you also don't want to give them the impression that something bad happened to them or you'll have problems the next time you try to get him groomed.

Even the one time I took Binky to get puppy cut and they misunderstood and shaved him really short, he knew he had a bad haircut and he was pissed. It took him about a week before he quit laying on the bed and pouting about it.

hrm. . . tried to insert a picture, but no matter how i crop it or resize it on photobucket, it shows up huge here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My rescue Afghans often act the same way when they come matted and I shave them to the skin. It's a new sensation! I'd keep an eye on him, but I agree that as long as he's eating and drinking fine, just give him a little while and he should get over it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have never had a dog shaved, but did the groomer or you give him a bath after? If not then he probably has little hairs all over his skin causing him to itch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much everyone. This really means a lot. I am still really worried, but it seems that his behaviour is probably common amongst long-haired breeds. It is, after all, his first time ever being cut so short, so I guess he just needs to get used to it.

We've booked a vet appointment in three days, along with his annual booster on the same day, but I hope he gets fine before then.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you so much everyone. This really means a lot. I am still really worried, but it seems that his behaviour is probably common amongst long-haired breeds. It is, after all, his first time ever being cut so short, so I guess he just needs to get used to it.

We've booked a vet appointment in three days, along with his annual booster on the same day, but I hope he gets fine before then.
Glad to hear he'll be going to the vet anyway in a few days - Chances are he'll be fine by then, but if not they can make sure everything is ok before they give him his shots!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts