Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jack russel male 5 -6 months old, since I got him I was always planning to get a beagle as a companion for him. Finally I got one (male ,beagle 6 weeks old). I was nervous thy might not like each other . First night he got home my jack russel has been growling at the new baby beagle everytime he comes near him. They were playing I think when they first met , but suddenly my Jack just follows my beagle around and annoys him and hops on him . My beagle gets angry and growls back . So then jack just growls and nips at him and they growl with their teeth out which scares me . Please help how do I fix this . It's only been 2 days but I want them to be friends !

Now my little beagle starts the bighting sometimes nd my jack gets pissed nd tries to bight back nd jump on him. I don't know if they're playing or fighting but there is growling involved and teeth showing . How long do u think until they will settle in:(

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I am not sure why people even want to risk same sex aggression. Espec as it can really settle into years of management, or be prepared for some bloodletting while they sort it out! If its was too beagles, maybe ok! But you have a JRT....... Not known for being mellow, and with breed traits to be quite aggressive! I would always go with a female with a male, its just more guarunteed to be easier.... they might settle in... or might not..... But only if the beagle will gives up and is the subordinate one and lets your Jack dominate him.....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
6 weeks old is way to young, I'd be worried about disease with him being so young and there being another puppy in the house.

As mentioned above, same sex, and one being a jack is asking for trouble. At this age, I doubt it's aggression, but I wouldn't risk it even being play, because I'm sure the 6 week old is very small, and could get hurt.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Also the beagle is very young (only 6 weeks) you're supposed to wait until 8 weeks... just letting you know. It's going to take him longer to learn bite inhibition. Also when you first get a puppy you want the dogs to meet on neutral grounds not your house. The JRT is thinking "what is this thing you brought into my house?" not a good start but it can be fixed hopefully crantastic or CptJack will chime in because this is out of my league, also I want to point out that your JRT is still a puppy himself. You should have waited until he was old and more calm. Like I said it can be fixed but i don't know how because I've never been in this situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyway I can fix it or any behaviourist online I can talk to? . Would neutering make a difference ?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The JRT is too young right now to get neutered....I would wait. Like I said I don't exactly know much about this because I don't have dogs of my own yet, but the information I told you I've seen before from posts from more experienced dog owners. Look around on other threads maybe you'll see some helpful information, wish i could be more help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts