Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have a 12 year old Chocolate Labrador that has developed Cataracts, over the last 6 months we started to realise there was a problem with his sight, little things like walking into furnature and doors and even trees on his walk, we had him looked over at by our local vet that mentioned an operation but after a chat between the family we decided not to go ahead with the operation because of his age and his health.
Now he is properly blind banging into everything and its horrible to watch and we dont know what to do for the best! Do we pay for the operation and hope he makes a full recovery? or do we just carry on as we are? or do we do what everyone dreads and have him put to sleep?

Id like to hear your suggestions and advice if anyone has had similar problems with there dog

Thankyou XX

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Blind dogs can actually live very normal lives! If you choose not to get the surgery (which is a valid choice considering his age), I don't think there's any reason to put him down.

I know a dog who went blind from diabetes around 5 or 6 years of age and she was fine. She learned to navigate through the house very well, and most of the time you would never know she was blind. The only thing that was an issue was if you moved something, or left a drawer open in the kitchen and she ran into it, she would remember where it was and avoid that area for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a labrador when i was a kid and he had the same issue.
He lived a long healthy life, but he did tend to bump into things. We didnt get surgery for him due to the cost and his age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts