Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took in my uncles dog a few weeks ago after he passed away and noticed something very strange about him...he wont take walks! He will go to the end of my driveway and then stops dead in his tracks and wont budge!!!! Every once and a while he will walk with me but lately all he does is pull on his leash and drags me back to the house. It's very frustrating!!!!! Im beginning to think that my uncle never really took him for walks since he was a puppy and would just walk him to the end of the driveway to pee and back, so that is what he is used to....My dog (who's name is Fluffy by the way...and is a full grown bischon frise) is VERY stubborn and I need everyones help with trying to come up with a solution to my problem..Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If he's never been out, you can't expect him to take long walks right away. You have to work up to it slowly. Maybe just walk 10 feet away from the driveway at first. Then 15 feet, then 20, etc. And make sure it's fun fun all the time! Treats and praise and toys and everything great happens out there! If you get mad or frustrated or try to force him, he'll just get more nervous and more unwilling to go anywhere.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
How are you training? Bichons are smart little dogs (my mom had them and I just adore the breed), but they don't like being forced into things. The harder you pull at a Bichon, the harder they pull back. You have to go positive. I love kikopup on Youtube. She is fantastic at clicker training and has videos for basically everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts