Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 8 month old toy poodle mix. I began Blue Buffalo with him as a puppy and he stopped wanting to eat it. I switched him to Organix and he started eating it well. Now he won't eat his Organix. He always begs for human food so I know he's hungry. He's still the same old healthy puppy but he just won't eat his food! I've tried sprinkling things into his food to help it but it won't work the majority of the time. I need him to eat, he is a tiny dog barely 5 pounds. Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is this a poodle thing? I've never had a picky eater, but my mom's poodles were finickier than a New York Times food critic.

These are things my mom used to do: pour warm, but not hot, water over the kibble and stir. Add a little canned in with the kibble. Put a little fish oil or liquid vitamin E (human grade) on top. Add in teeny shreds of cooked chicken. Mix with sweetener free yogurt. (Make sure it doesn't contain aspartame or sucralose, either.)

You may want to consider raw feeding or cooking meals for your dog. For a dog that small, it wouldn't be too hard to cook up a big batch once every two weeks or so and thaw out portions as needed. Just do your research first so you don't accidentally leave out important nutrients.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Maybe he is bored with the food ...my Leeo was like this. If it were me I would be sure to have a couple different dog foods on hand for a rotation and also cook boiled chicken breast and add a touch of that to the kibble with a little warm water.

I also used to keep the chicken broth from the boiled chicken. Just cool it in the fridge and skim the fat off and throw that away. Keep the broth in ice cube trays and use as needed to moisten the kibble.

I also allowed boiled chicken liver or beef liver once a week. Organ meats should not be fed daily.They are too high in fat and cholesterol. This can cause pancreatic issues.

My dog was small so I just put enough meat in the kibble and stirred it up well to make him believe it all was meat. I tricked him ... or tried to anyways. Some days he just wasn't able to be fooled.

Your pup is so small I would not want him to go for long periods of time with no food due to hypoglycemia. ( low blood sugar)

Remember this is all my own opinion ...not necessarily correct ... just how I handle my own dogs. :) Unfortunately my picky eater had pancreatic issues I was not aware of .... and his eating habits were related to his disease.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dog kinda went through the same thing. I feed her Blue Buffalo Wilderness. She used to eat her food on a regular basis and decided she didn't want it anymore. So we changed flavors for her kibble and she ate it for a couple days before once again turning her nose up to it. I tried chicken broth, but that was a hit and miss. I also tried warm water, but that didn't seems to sit well and she would runny stool once in awhile.

The solution now: Canned food. I bought a can of wet food and mix a small spoonful in the kibble. Just enough to lightly coat most of the pieces and she absolutely adores it.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I got a dog from a rescue once. Over the phone, they told me that she was starving, but they couldn't get her to eat. They would give her a bowl of dry food and she wouldn't eat it, so they would make chicken or hamburger and fuss and cook and get her to eat. They went on and on about this.

When I picked up the dog, she was a healthy weight, a bit on the heavy side for my liking. They were right, she wouldn't eat dog food. For three whole days. I offered it for 5 minutes. When she didn't eat, I picked it up and offered it again about 12 hours later. She never touched it for 3 days. On the 4th day, she ate it all and never missed a meal again. I ended up adopting her and keeping her until she died.

Sometimes, I think the best thing to do with a healthy dog is ignore the drama and let it go away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pups a picky eater too, I have to mix a little bit of canned food in his kibble. About a teaspoon, add some warm water and mix it well into a slush then add the kibble, wet food has to be on every single piece or he won't touch it, helps to let it sit for about 5 min before putting it down so that it soaks in a bit. Will not touch the kibble without the wet food, but will lick the wet food off then return and eat the dry kibble after.

Ive had a couple poodle mixes, always had a very hard time keeping weight on them, especially when we went out of town, they would have to eat rice and hamburger, even then would only eat a couple small bites. Meat doesn't work on my lil fella, he'll just pick it out and leave the kibble behind. Haven't tried dog "gravy" you get in a bottle, but no harm in feeding them a little bit of canned food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts