Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my five year old chihuahua mix was neutered yesterday at around 10:30 am and it is now 10:41 am so its just been 24 hours since his surgery and Im very worried as to how he is doing... I have seen improvement from the anesthesia when we first got him he was all out of it and didnt really seem to move a lot and he wasnt able to stand so we let him rest and sleep and he started to shiver and we put a blanket on him and he stopped then after a while the vet told us that we could feed him half of the food he noramlly eats but he didn't eat and or drink water however this made us very worried but then he was able to finally stand up and walk around the house and go to his own bed ( when we brought him, he was sleeping my sisters bed )
we do notice that he seems like he is angry with all of us who went with him to the vet to get his surgery ( my dad didn't go and he doesn't seem mad at him ).

Today he seemed to walk a little more around the house when my younger sister and my dad left for work/school. and my younger sister tried to give him water and filled his bowl with water to see if he would drink water but he didn't. and now he still seems a little angry at us when we try to get near him and he just stays in his bed sleeping/ sometimes just awake. he dose seem to be licking his arm which i guess its where the IV was located !!!!

we need help !!!!! does all of this seem normal ? ? ? ? ? our vet office is closed today and we are not sure if we should take him to see another vet....

any input would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think he seems ok. Give him a little ice cube to see if he'll drink anything. You could also try a little Gatorade.

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
His behavior sounds similar to my dog's after surgery. The key is to get him to drink water. I managed it by putting a treat in his water bowl, so he'd drink water to lap up the food.

Of course, you want to keep an eye on things, but this doesn't sound too out of the norm for 1-2 days after surgery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes he just ate and drank water and is seeing to walk more often now.. he did seem to urinate ALOT. but i guess thats normal !

thanks !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I just had 2 of my chi's neutered, it took a couple of days for mine to get back to normal, their little legs from the iv is still a little sore, mine didn't like me for about a day, but now they are happy, if you are too worried about him, take him back to the vet and have him checked out, after all we just took their manhood away, so their entitled to be a little angry, I am getting my other chi neutered wednesday, am trying to stop the aggression and fighting between father and son. be patient, he will come around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im glad to here him walking around that soon I had mmy 10 month old pikinegese ? probably not spelled correct anyways had him neutered 7 days ago and he wont walk or come out of his kennel on his own vet says hes tramatized and is milking it I am very nervous .. but it comforting to hear others with similar storys. good luck with your guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts