Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Community...
I am in need of some practical and heart-felt help! I have recently moved across the country with my dog, Gaia, who is about 1 and a half. I rescued her when she was 4 months old and since then she and I have been very, very attached.
We not only moved across the country, but we moved in with my boyfriend, who she had met many times before moving. She is TERRIFIED of him. He is so gentle, so loving, so accepting... he feeds her and only uses a sweet and delicate tone with her. Every time she sees him she hides behind me, sometimes even shaking.
This is very difficult for me, for him, and for her!! I am willing to try ANYTHING at this point and would love some feedback from the community! :)
I thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephany

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would make sure he completely ignores her. No touching, no talking to her and absolutely no eye contact! For sensitive dogs like Gaia, all of these things are very threatening. It is going to take some time for her to come around. My poodle was much this way when we brought him home, very afraid of my husband.

You can have your boyfriend drop tasty tidbits every now and again, so that positive things happen in his presence, BUT he should not touch, talk or make eye contact with her. Be very patient, I know it's frustrating, but she will eventually come around- and please be prepared for it to take months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you SO much for all this :) my heart all ready feels peace at the thought of people sharing advice and solidarity to the situation. I am reading a lot about it.. and it is not uncommon for this to occur. PATIENCE IS VIRTUE, correct? :)
With all my gratitude!!!!!!!!!!
Stpehany

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
time to adjust to a new surroundings and new routine..... make everyday the same on a time schedule "is the easiest way to introduce a new environment building a structure the dog can anticipate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts