Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I live in France and work with rescue animals, mainly dogs. Here is my current problem.

A youngish lady (mid 40's) has 3 dogs all bitches. An old Labrador bitch with mouth cancer, a small Collie bitch she rescued from near starvation, and a Griffon Korthal named Jazz (about 4 years) which she adopted back in August last year from the French SPA. This is the problem in her own words.

"Jazz is lovely most of the time. Had to break up a big fight this evening as she pushed Susie too far and Susie clearly had had enough and completely went for her, Jazz backed off but did keep coming back for more and I had to push her outside to calm things down. Maybe Jazz is just being a bit of a bully but it isn't leading to any peace and harmony. They are now curled up on the sofa together! Susie is being very tolerant, it's Jazz that always starts it and then pushes too far. "

"As you saw, Jazz can be a lovely affectionate dog and does need sharp discipline which I do give her but it affects the other dogs who are obedient, well behaved and certainly don't have that kind of approach or attitude. It is hard in a three dog pack to keep singling one dog for correction as they all seem to react but don't know why I am disciplining them all. Clearly Jazz needs to be with perhaps a male dog or a more dominant type of dog. She will obviously need very experienced dog owners who lead an active life which she can become involved in. She can be destructive, can only be off the lead in an enclosed area, and does dig holes near the fencing so has to be watched. She can also jump very high and climb, so fencing or walls have to be high and secure. Cats, rabbits, chickens etc are a no no. She is very intelligent, quick to learn but also very wilful. She will stand still to be brushed, you can check her all over without any problems. She is very food orientated and gentle to take food from the hand. She has a sense of humour and loves to play but is destructive with toys and will take anything that is left lying around. She is so fast when she runs but is not very spacially aware so can knock you down when you least expect it. So probably no young children either. She loves being in the car but will jump out and run off as soon as the door is opened. She understands basic commands, will sit for a treat or food. She's not bad on recall depending on what catches her eye! She will come to her name or if you whistle. She loves going for walks and gets very excited if she sees a lead. She does pull on the lead but if you walk fast and keep her short she's not too bad."

I can also add to this that Jazz has a habit of suddenly rushing outside and whizzing around in circles, she has also taken to nipping her owner and the other dogs for no apparent reason. I have met the animal and believe this might just be a case of the wrong owner with the wrong dog. I feel Jazz is having to be Pack Leader and not enjoying it very much, hence her naughty activities. She is not a bad dog and I am prepared to work with the owner to sort things out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The owner not Jazz needs to be a the leader. A good way to accomplish this is through a strict NILIF (read the sticky) and daily obedience training program. Jazz (and the other dogs as well) should get nothing, not food, not attention, nothing they haven't first earned. I know she loves her dogs but they need and desire leadership first and foremost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts