Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m a new dog mom to this beautiful 6 week old american cocker spaniel. As many who not unlike me have met their little friend while they were a puppy know, they are very weak at this stage and i am constantly worried about something being wrong with him.
yesterday he got his first shots and because I thought he was breathing too fast and his heart was also beating faster i rushed him to the emergency clinic fully knowing that this may be just an aftereffect of the vaccine. However what really bothered me was the way he started breathing while asleep he was hoarse and made these weird noises and that along with his sneezing put me in a panic. The vetquickly checked him and determined he was fine, he didn’t even have a high temperature, however im still worried and contemplatinggoing to the vet for aconsult on his breathing.
should i be alarmed or am I just overthinking?

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
If it's reoccurring, I suggest you record it on your phone and see if you can send the video along to your vet so they can determine whether it needs medical attention. If it was a one-off event you can still make a call to your vet and describe what's going on, and ask whether they think it needs to be seen in person. Most vets are understanding of new pet owners being worried and not knowing what normal for their pet is yet, especially with such a tiny baby! It's hard to judge online whether something is normal puppy dreams or an actual symptom of a medical problem, which is why we don't allow people to suggest diagnoses here, but let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thank you I will do that.
I actually recorded it and showed the emergency vet and they said it was normal, but i was in such a panicked state, mostly because i made a mistake of going on the web and assuming the worst.
Thank you for your suggestions ❤

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
It's really good that the e-vet got to see it and said it was normal! Definitely worth keeping an eye on and asking about if it seems to be getting more extreme, but I'd be less worried since a professional has said it's okay. Dogs can absolutely make some weird noises when they dream!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts