Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! MY DOG IS A STUBBORN EATER!
My dog, Max, refuses to eat his own food. I've tried all different brands, wet and dry and finally settled on on brand that he will kind of eat. All he wants is "people food". It doesn't matter if it's the toast I just burnt or a frozen greenbean on the floor, he will gobble it up because it's presumably something that the owner would eat. My boyfriend pretended to eat Max's dogfood and, "amazingly", the dog was suddenly interested in the kibble. The dog will wait until I am done eating before he eats, just in case he gets some of my food, which i never give him, then he will only go to his bowl when he is so starving he can't take the hunger, but otherwise he will let the food sit there for days without eating a thing. (No I don't let it go stale).

I read somewhere that you should give your dog a timeframe to eat what's in his bowl and if he doesn't eat it you take it away. I am going to start doing that, but I was wondering if there was some way to get my dog to stop wanting only human food. That sounds like a lot to ask, but I can tell that mostly what he wants is to be included with the owner. He has separation anxiety when I leave, and I can only feel that these two problems are somehow related.

How do I get him to eat like a normal dog, to eat a bowl of food a day without waiting out for something better? If he only at his food at once, I wouldn't mind feeding him table scraps at all, but I know that now if I do, it's only going to make the problem worse.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Crate him when you eat, or teach him to go lay down somewhere. Don't feed him any thing off your plate, and only give him really yummy food as rewards. And definitely wait him out on his food. A healthy dog won't stave themselves.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A healthy dog won't stave themselves.
This. If you aren't sure if he is healthy - take him to the vet. Otherwise if he is healthy - wait him out.

- My dogs wouldn't eat either if they knew they could wait a bit and get me to give them what was on the counter. Make a house rule that he gets no human food.

- I would feed him at a different time than you eat (so he doesn't ignore his food trying to get yours). I put food down for 30 minutes and then pick up the food (I've never made picked up a bowl with food still in it).

- Crate him while you eat or be absolutely be willing to train while you eat. My dogs get a firm "back" then "down" (lay down) when we eat. They are not allowed to crowd the table or beg. Everytime he gets close - give him the back command and physically use your body to block him and back him up. Everytime. Won't be easy but it's an option if you really don't want to crate him. Otherwise it's just easier to crate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts