Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I rescued a dog from Puerto Rico while living there the past few months. Since moving to the US she has been unresponsive to training. As soon as I leave the room she will go to the bathroom. I immediatly disipline her but she came from an abused home and when I show dissapointment and tell her "NO!" she drops to the floor and shutters in fear and actually shakes.

Another problem is she has severe seperation anxietys with me now, She literally wont leave my side. She follows me EVERYWHERE. If I leave her in a room she howls and crys until i return. So what she has recently started doing to suppress the nerves is chew up my furniture and anything within reach. Again when I go to disipline her its difficult because she is terrified of getting hit so she just closes her eyes and belly flops the door.

HELP, I love this dog but she is destroying my home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your dog is beautiful, and I love her nails :)! I had a similar issue with separation anxiety and my dog - she ate a hole in the drywall after being left alone for 2 hours. It took A LOT of work but I kennel trained her, and that has become a safe haven for her. She is getting much better, and can be left at home without me now. i started out with the kennel in the same room as me, with her bed in it, untill she eventually started going in. Then I would close the gate for longer and longer periods of time. I also would start walking away/out of site for a couple minutes, gradually increasing. I found covering her kennel with a blanket really helped. It closed off the sides and made it more of a "den" I guess. After a lot of time and patients she is happy to go in her kennel and usually goes right to sleep. I also found that the more confident she became in our relationship - that I really would come back when I left her alone in the kennel, the less accidents she had. My dog has become quite well adjusted, she still has a few quirks, but that's why I love her. This all took the better part of a year, it is definitely not something that comes quickly. It takes really awesome people to rehabillitate abused animals and I comend you for that. I hope this helps you - even a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
First of all, SA is a medical condition for which there is medication, just like bipolar disorder in humans. Take her to a vet and get her treatment.

Secondly, yelling at a dog for eliminating in the house is not training. It's useless. You need to take her outside, very often, and praise her when she goes outside. If she goes inside, clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner. If you catch her going inside, interrupt her with an "aah" sound, not a yell, and take her outside.

Thirdly, what a sweet face!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Changes in routine or environment often cause setbacks in dogs. So, moving to the U.S. could have upset her, and confused her, so just be extra careful with training.
And, yes, disciplining for potty training is only going to cause problems. Prevent accidents by being extra careful, watching her all the time, and basically, not giving her the chance to have an accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragment. I have made a large walk in closet that I have no use for her kennel and took the door off and replaced with a baby gate so she still can see out and not feel trapped. I have filled it with toys blankets pillows and her food and water to try and make it a place she likes to be. I have seen a huge improvment in the amount of accidents she has in the house... She still needs alot of work but these suggestions have really helped thus far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So what she has recently started doing to suppress the nerves is chew up my furniture and anything within reach. Again when I go to disipline her its difficult because she is terrified of getting hit so she just closes her eyes and belly flops the door.
What do you mean by "when I go to discipline her" ? I'm curious what techniques you are using. If you are punishing her for chewing up your furniture after the deed is done, she won't understand why you're mad, and you'll just make her fear you. The only time to correct is if you catch her in the act of destroying something, and since you have a skittish dog that's been abused in the past, you need to be careful about how you handle it. Don't be too stern while she is learning to trust you. When you catch her chewing on stuff she shouldn't be, use a mild verbal correction and get her attention on a chew toy instead. Distract her and redirect. If she's not interested in what you're offering to chew on, make it better than the item she was wrecking before, by putting peanut butter on the chew toy, or wiggling it around on the floor and making her want to catch it.

For the house training, now that she has this closet as "her room" is she having accidents in there? It's not a bad idea to have a space gated off for her, but if she's having accidents in it, you should probably get an actual crate to put in the closet and train her to rest in it.

One last question - how long have you had her now? I don't see mention of that. I wouldn't be surprised that at first she is clingy and always wants to be with you. You are the ONE familiar thing in her world right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts