Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had issue with Charlie peeing in her crate (this is ONLY when she is left alone), I know she can hold it as she does when she is in the crate when I am home or out and playing. If she does pee in her crate she licks it up. She is never in there more that 3.5 hours which I think is reasonable at her age (17 weeks almost 18). BUT this week she has now started to pee whenever I go to let her out, sometimes full puddles in the crate other times all over me while I am picking her up. I am at a lost as it seems I can never win with this crate.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just to get a better picture of things, how did the breeder keep the puppies, and how big is the crate in relation to her? Is she spayed? How do you respond when she has an accident, both when you witness it and when you come home to find it? How is she, generally, about the crate and are there any other issues you've noticed when she's left alone?

It sounds like this may be anxiety or excitement related. Many puppies go through a phase where they pee when exciting or scary things happen, and unfortunately a lot of that is just waiting for maturity to set in. If she seems over-the-top I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU!!! when you take her out of the crate, you can try waiting for some calmer behavior before opening the door and letting her out, but hopefully the answers to the questions will shine some more light on the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how she was kept as I rescued her at 12 weeks, I can't tell if she is used to peeing on herself and doesn't mind being dirty as she licks it up. (I know this as I will come up and she will be wet and there will be evidence of her licking). The crate is only large enough for her to lay down, there is a divider in her crate at the moment. She is spayed. If I come home to notice the licking I usually just say "No ma'am" and continue to take her out. When she pees while being let out I used to say "No ma'am" as well but realizing it could be submissive or excited urination I have resorted to just taking the pee on me and bring her out without saying anything. When I put her kong in there/other treats she runs right in, if I am unable to watch her and put her in she doesnt whine at all and usually just lays down. When I leave she whines a bit but nothing more than one or too. She is not at the point where she will willingly go into her crate if she is just hanging out though.

She does have some accidents upon greeting someone although it is not excessive and every time by any means. I have even taught her to sit and be calm before I let her out but she will still go while sitting!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have heard that the 'cleaning up' behavior can come from being forced to urinate/defecate in their crate, so she may have some history there. I haven't personally raised a puppy with that issue though, so I'm not sure if that's a sure thing or if some dogs just do it regardless of their past. It sounds like you're mostly doing everything you should, though I will say that there's no reason to give her a 'no ma'am' when you come home to find she's had an accident/licked it up. At that point, she won't connect the reprimand (even though it's a mild one) to the action of peeing, and it might be confusing or stressful depending on how strong a tone you use and how sensitive she is to disapproval. I'd suggest just letting her out as usual and cleaning her and the crate up.

A few other things you can try - make sure you're cleaning her crate after an accident with an enzymatic cleaner meant to deal with pet messes so that the smell is completely eliminated, even to her sensitive nose. Nature's Miracle is one popular brand, but there's other options as well. Feed her in the crate to try to build it up as a place to eat and sleep, not potty. It sounds like she's really good in the crate, though if you have a device with a webcam you could always try recording her to see if she becomes stressed while she's gone.

The other thing I would do is check with a vet about the possibility of a urinary tract infection or spay incontinence. If it's excitement/submissive urination, you might have to wait some of it out, but if there's an underlying medical issue you'll want to deal with it right away. Especially if the peeing seems to be a lot of dribbling, which seems to be a hallmark of spay incontinence. I have never dealt with the issue myself, but I thought I'd throw it out there on the off chance it was relevant here.

Hopefully some other people will come in with more suggestions, good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!

I agree with DaySleepers, check out any medical problem - but it sounds like maybe an over-excitement, anxious/nervous problem. If it IS that, and you want to try calming her down especially upon seeing you, entering or exiting the crate or going through doors, here is something handy I read about, and trained with my Schnauzer who is a bonkers ball of nonsense, and it worked incredibly well! She calmed down a lot on being let out of crates, doors, anywhere. Still insane, but better at containing it in needy times haha!

Take your pup outside or wherever she goes to potty, wait as long as you need and make sure she is all pee'd and pooped out - nothing left inside. Then put her in her crate, give her lots of love, maybe a treat if you want to, tell her she has been good so she doesn't feel like she is being shut away. Try and be really exciting, maybe play for a few minutes right beforehand, get her riled up. You need her to be excited in order to teach her to calm down again. If she is already mellow and sleepy it wont help.
Then go away from her for five or so minutes, long enough for her to want to be back out with you but not to lose the excitement. If she is crying wait for it to stop, but apart from that don't wait too long.

When you return (and hopefully she will be dying to get out to you) sit down quietly and wait. As soon as she sits or waits nicely, put out your hand to open the door. If she stands up or gets in any way excited, take your hand away. Be super chill, you aren't mad. Start to open the door, or put your hand out again, and if she is excited, shut the door/hand away, and wait for her to calm down. You want her REALLY calm, not just unmoving but still jiggling or showing eagerness to jump out, you want her completely calm and placid - not because the jiggles aren't cute or fun (they are, oh I know!!!) but if she has peeing problem because of over-excitement, agitation or nervousness, making her calm will help all of those! You still want a very happy, fun puppy at the end of the day, just calm at the right times.

Adding a word like 'wait' or 'stay' will help; when she is calm, say the word nicely and gently and make to open the door. Jumping about or jiggling and the door closes. Wait for the chill, say the word, and repeat. You can do this as many times as you need, keep shutting the door and waiting.

When you can fully open the door and she is still waiting nicely without coming out, using the word to help her know to wait, then give her a "free" word like 'okay' or 'let's go', and then call her to you and give her TONS of praise and love, she has been great! Do this exercise as many times in the day you want, and whenever you need to actually get her out of the crate. Even if she has been in there for a few hours and needs to come out, you can still do the exercise. If she pees in the training process, ignore it, you can wash her later - when she has learned to calm down then you can bring back in the training to wait to pee until outside the house or in her area. She just needs to know to be completely chill while leaving the crate and greeting you.

The "free" word to let her know it's time to be 'released' is really helpful, like telling her to sit and she doesn't know when the sit can end for her, use the same release word for many things so she knows she has done and finished the good action and can not think about whether she is breaking it, or learning to walk out of a sit or a command when you still don't want her to!

Hopefully, if this problem is related to any kind of agitation, happy/joyful excited or submissing nerves/peeing issues, having a very calm, patient dog with no agitation or jiggles should help a lot. The ideal is for you to open the crate door, and for her to calmly wait until you 'release' her out.

If the peeing does stop (I really hope this helps!!) when leaving the crate but she then learns instead to get so excited to see you that she then pees on the floor next to you instead, you can slowly increase the calm period to a leash on her, walking outside, and THEN the big happy release cue to let it go, pee and all :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts