Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys.
3 days ago I welcomed home a Jack Russell, 2 months old. I don't want to make any 'mistakes' in his education, especially in the first months. We are a couple, in this moment just one of us is working so there is always someone at home. Right now as you know we can't go out with him because he still needs to do all the vaccinations so he will have to do everything at home.

The first thing that I'd like to teach him is to do his needs in the pads. I really need advices for this. At the moment apart from one time he has always done his needs eveywhere in the house except from there.
What we do is 'following him' after he wakes up (he sleeps something like 20 hours a day then he wakes up 20 minutes and he comes back to sleep) and after he pees in a wrong place we say 'NO' to him and we put him in the right place on the pads. Still no results, maybe it's still early. How long does it take normally to teach dog this? What are the best ways to do it? Are we doing right?

Another thing that we are noticing is that he likes to bite our hand, feet, everything... Is that normal at this age right?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
He needs to get out to see the world, even is he doesn't have all his shots yet. He doesn't need to meet and greet every single person or dog he sees, but he does need to see them. This blog post Car Socialization ~ Denise Fenzi's Blog talks about socializing (aka exposing to things) a puppy during corona virus restrictions, but can be applied in any situation.

I really don't like pads, but if you want to use them, treat them like you would a trip outdoors. Take him to the pads as soon as he wakes up, after he's eaten, after he's taken a slurp of water, after he's been playing for a while, and every 20 minutes or so just because. If you can't be watching him like a hawk, he needs to be crated or otherwise confined so that he can't wander around and potty wherever.

This is a free ebook that covers lots of things to do with raising a puppy, and that addressees the mouthing (which is perfectly normal, especially for a terrier). Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Growing Up FDSA - Free Ebook

1 - 2 of 2 Posts