Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very, very active/high arousal dog who needs to rest for 6 weeks. She dislocated her neck last Saturday, badly enough that she was nearly paralyzed. We have transitioned from unable to sit up or stand, all the way to "able to walk, but still falling down and running into things." It's like a miracle. She is expected to survive and possibly even make a full recovery.

But she needs to stay quiet for 6 weeks while she undergoes treatment. She is going OUT OF HER MIND. She is used to training in agiltiy/obedience daily and hiking for an hour and a half about 5 days a week. She is used to free-running with dogs in a huge yard for 4 or 5 hours a day on top of that. Plus she loves to retrieve or tug for maybe an hour every other day. She isn't "active," she's insane. Of all of the dogs I own, she needs the most. Her neck hurts too badly to eat out of a kong. She isn't to jump, pivot, or play with other dogs. She obviously can't tug or retrive. She can't go for walks. I am at a loss as to how to manage her. We initially kept her sedated, but now she isn't.

Any ideas? ANY? If I can't figure something out, I am afraid she will re-injure herself.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Awww. I'm sorry I have no ideas for keeping her occupied right now but I wanted to say that I've been following your story & I'm glad you were able to figure out what was wrong & get a treatment plan going. Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
No ideas ... but sending well wishes and a speedy recovery! :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
can she have kongs? Is she allowed out of her crate at all? If so maybe take a kong and make a room where she can have to herself for a few hours(or one or however long you feel comfortable) and hide kongs or treats and give her some mental exercise. It may not help to the extent you want but it will help a little. When I had to keep my 6 month old lab calm for 3 weeks that is what I did. he was only let out for 10 minutes though because it was a paw injury.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has been a life-long user of kongs, but with the sore neck, she won't touch them. I am guessing it either hurts too much or she gets frustrated by the trouble with motor control. There were times when she was fed every meal from kongs for weeks at a time. Now she just looks licks them for a second and quits. Almost has to be pain. She won't even try and she LOVES food. She will chew on a butcher bone so we are stocked up on those.

Nose games are a good idea as long as I can keep her from flipping out once she gets loose! Will try that for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts