Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
k i ont really know how these things work but, i have a question regarding my dog.....

we are at the end of our leash, with our lab mix he's 2 years old very friendly but he NEVER shut's up. when ppl walk by he barks when aniamls walk by he barks and it never quits. we try and take him for walks everyday to relive the presure he builds up but he's also hard to walk he pulls and he's strong ! we try and take note ceaser millan's techniques but its not the same unless he's actually there to help and show you what to do. we love him to death and we don't to get rid of him but maybe it's for the best, we was kicked out of obedience cuz he was to hyper the lady said well if you can't fix him u should get rid of him, that really annoys me cuz is that not saying that the trainer gave up on her self ?, when he was a little puppy he would follow us everywhere ..... not no more the only way to catch him if he gets out is to chase him down with the car then he will jump in. we were wondering if there is anyone or thing that can help us save our dog ! if we need to start back at the basicics we will !
we live in a small city and it has no dog park or anything ! so its really ard to socialize him.....even though he is freindly to all dogs and cats ! and we have had about 5-6 dog walkers ....for some reason thy never come bk !

plz email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A 2-year-old lab mix is going to need a LOT of exercise every day. Not just a walk. And not just sometimes. If you're not walking him because he pulls, try a no-pull harness.

But find a way to exercise him more. Get involved in some sort of sport. Dog Play Even if you have to take him to the dog park and throw a frisbee or ball for him to fetch.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I recommend as well that you get a copy of Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed (there is a book and a dvd, I read the book). I have found the "Look at That" game to be invaluable with the crazed dogs I have worked with.
This book is aimed at agility folk, but all of the exercises are about calming and self control for your dog and they really do work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dog barks at my boyfriend sometimes, and we spray her with a water bottle. It is working pretty well and she is definitely learning to resist her urge. And it hasn't hurt our relationship at all, either.

Also, at the obedience class I go to, there is a dog that constantly barks. The training sprayed something in its mouth to get it to quit, and although it didn't stop immediately, by the end of the class it was already barking noticeably less.

I didn't like the idea of spraying my dog and had to use it as a last resort, but it is working pretty well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dog barks at my boyfriend sometimes, and we spray her with a water bottle. It is working pretty well and she is definitely learning to resist her urge. And it hasn't hurt our relationship at all, either.

Also, at the obedience class I go to, there is a dog that constantly barks. The training sprayed something in its mouth to get it to quit, and although it didn't stop immediately, by the end of the class it was already barking noticeably less.

I didn't like the idea of spraying my dog and had to use it as a last resort, but it is working pretty well.
one lady emailed me and said to mix vinager with some water and to use that as the spray. and h used to chew everything including walls and we used cyanne pepper well it was more of a cat nip for dogs for him LOL but he grew out of thank goodness !

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
To help with walking try getting an easy walk harness. I got one for my new shepherd and it does help a lot. I hook his leash up to the harness and his collar, that way if he slips out of the harness some how he is still hooked up via his collar. I believe I got mine at petsmart. It will help with the pulling and make walks easier for you. You could also try a gentle leader or halti but most dogs don't like them. Hiring a trainer who can come to your house and give you a couple of private lessons would help a lot, with the pulling and the other issues.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My dog barks at my boyfriend sometimes, and we spray her with a water bottle.
My wife tried that and my dog interpreted that as a reward. He got all happy anytime the spray bottle came out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Haha, wow.. weird. My mom's dog is the same way, actually.. and he loves getting baths from the hose. She has to tie him up not because she's afraid he'll run away... she just has to do it to keep his face out of the stream of water so she can get the rest of his body.

My dog hates getting sprayed and looks really sad when it happens, so I guess it just depends on the dog.

And I had thought that there was lemon juice in the mixture (aside from vinegar), but I'm not 100% sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts