Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have three rescue boxers, two are fixed, one is not,two males, and a female, the one that is not is because vet stated liver enzymes were low therefore knocking him out to neuter him could possibly be the end of his life. when we rescued female (completely deaf) the dogs started fighting, not the female, the two males. Now we have had a ton of fights. i have an 8 yr old daughter and a 2 year old son. They are always in the middle of the random fights and my husband and I are tossing the idea around of getting rid of all of them for the safety of our children. Please please does anyone have and recommendations on what i can do? I think of my dogs as my other children and they are my first animals since becoming independent and on my own. PLEASE HELP ME!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That is really unfortunate. You could look into hiring a trainer/behaviorist for help or you could rehome one of the males. I think that rehoming ALL of the dogs is a bit of an extreme if it's just the two males that are fighting.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you POSITIVE they are fighting? Boxers are VERY vocal when playing, and sound like they will tear each other apart, but just play rough. If they are fighting, maybe rehome the healthiest one.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree....if you really it's more than just very rough play, rehome the healthiest male. Rehoming a dog that's not healthy is really difficult.
How old are your dogs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have Dayton (now these are guesses from the vet as they were all rescued from highway, bad breeder and bad owner)
Dayton is 5 male intact
Davin is 4 neutered
Lexxus 1 spayed..

It initally stated out before we acquired Lexxus about 9 months ago, it was over food, then we adopted Lexxus and vet said well lets get her spayed and i bet you anything it will die down to a few and then to non existance, and up until last week everything was going decently. But it started again and it isn't rough play, the dogs grab jowls (sp) and rip and I mean rip, we actually took Davin to the er vet to make sure he didn't need stitches, then seperate them for a few hours, but then they mean mug each other for the rest of the day. And i am not stong enough to seperate them, so when we had one happen when my husband wasn't home all i could do was try to get in the middle and i got bit, clawed and get one contained the other is still charging. Last night my 2 year old was underneath them and i watched them duke it out all over who got to sit in front of the vent. I know males naturally have a competing attitude, but this is dangerous. I know that somewhere it appears that i am a terrible dog owner and when i adopted these dogs i thought i was saving them from a horrible life, but now i feel like i am giving them a horrible life. I honestly can't picture rehoming any of them in fears they won't go to a good home, and a while a behavioralist may be a little pricy, i am willing to try it.
But did i cause this?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If they were fighting over food, then they need to be separated when food is in the picture at all. If they're fighting because they are fighting, you have another set of problems. As far as fighting, they aren't competing. Something has changed and now they are fighting, and the only thing I can advise you to do in this situation is to call in a behaviorist. Fights like these are dangerous and will only continue to escalate if there isn't an intervention. Alternatively, there is returning ONE dog to the rescue they came from if all else fails.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
For now, I'd keep the males separated. Institute NILIF. (See the sticky at the top of the training forum for an explanation of what this is.) Make sure you are walking them briskly TWICE A DAY (together if possible, as it helps them bond), for at least 45 min each time. Walking briskly will help get rid of excess energy, which can contribute to aggression. Try to also do 10-15 min of training each day with each of them. That will mentally tire them. Use positive training, and reward with high value treats, like tiny pieces of cut up hot dog or cheese, or something they LOVE, but don't usually get.

I'd also recommend a vet check for the aggressive ones. A low thyroid can cause sudden aggression. It can happen at any age. And the one you think is starting the fights, might not be the instigator. It could be the other one's body posture, that is causing problems. So I'd get bloodwork including T-4 done on both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't actually get them for rescue associations, i picked Dayton up off the highway, davin was from a bad breeder, smack them around and lexxus, she had her own set of problems, but she is a good girl. I am with you something is up, and nothing in our home with us has changed yet, but all out brawls over who greets guests at the door and who gets what spot, i thought i did something wrong or maybe take my chances with getting Dayton neutered and pray the vet was wrong :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
exercise it will be too! I will do this, i have a call into a trainer/behaviorist here in town supposed to be top notch, see what he says.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't think you did any thing wrong, and neutering definitely will not change any thing so don't risk his life in that aspect. Sometimes other dogs cannot live together or cannot live together without a lot of intervention. There are families that have to crate and rotate their dogs because they can never be trusted to be out together. I would talk to a behaviorist that can come to your house and assess the situation. I have a dog that doesn't like other dogs. He's fine with two of my dogs, but just would rather the other two not existed. I had to do a lot of really hard work with him but they all coexist in the same house and he avoids/ignores over attacking or starting a fight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So dog trainer/behavorist is coming out tonight to meet the pups. Fingers crossed. Lab work is being done in the morning to see if any of them have soemthing that could potentially be causing this too. I appreciate everyones insight and not bashing me for not having all the answers.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
291 Posts
thanks for being so responsible and not giving up! hopefully they can help you, if not, like it says above I think just rehomeing one of the males might be the safest best for your family.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: per trainer, says that our dogs are just lacking control, they have no sense of who is leading the pack and he intends on helping, stated most likely lab work would be unnecessary, but we are still gonna go in and see what vet thinks. YAAAA maybe a solution to the madness :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts