Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, we are crazy! Well not really, maybe a little.
We have three dogs in our house with two kids ages 11 and 16.
My dogs:
Jackie (JRT/RT) 3 yrs old and spayed. Riylee (Carolina Dog) 4 months old just got spayed. Jack (JRT) 5 yr old neuter.

We have had Jackie since she was 13 weeks old. She is a very mellow JR. She use to have a best bud but he passed on about three weeks ago. She grew up with him. She does good with other dogs. (I thought?)

Riylee- We just got her about a week ago from a shelter. She is my oldest son's dog. He is the one that lost his bestfriend, Oreo. Riylee is active and wants to play ALL THE TIME! She is a puppy.

Jack- We just got Monday from a shelter.

Jackie and Riylee showed there teeth a few times then Riylee is slowly learning that Jackie doesn't want to play all the time. In fact she just wants to be left alone. (In which she really wasn't like that until Oreo passed away) But they are getting better.

Jack- He is calm even thou the shelter said all he did was jump. Haven't seen him jump yet. But him and Riylee don't get along the best. So far he has gotten her neck, nothing bad. And got her tail. But he is not like this with Jackie.

I want them to all get along. And I know they can at least I hope. Someone please help me on how to do this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is Riylee rambunctious? She's a puppy so I assume she is. If so, she could be annoying both Jackie and and Jack. And Jack is just now acclimating to a new environment (which is probably why he hasn't jumped around yet--when he starts gets comfortable is when his real personality will come out). So Jack is in this new environment, doesn't know where he is, and has this annoying puppy around. Wouldn't you be a little grumpy?

Eventually, when Jack is acclimated and, hopefully, when Jackie returns to her old self after losing her bestie, they might not be so averse to playing with Riylee. Until then, keep them separated from each other when you're not around, so there are no accidents and dogs don't wind up getting hurt. Also, when they are together, watch very carefully if one of the dogs starts to show annoyance.

I recently introduced a puppy, Lucky, to my 1 1/2 year old toy poodle mix, Coco. Coco is a bit high strung, but not dog aggressive. She LOVES playing with other dogs at daycare. Coco and Lucky do play all the time, but Lucky can be a very annoying puppy. He likes to bark at and bother Coco when Coco has something Lucky wants (like a toy or treat). Lucky is persistent, and Coco does get fed up. Coco will snarl and lunge, although won't bite. It's a warning to back off. As long as that's as far as it goes, I'm fine with it--it's the way dogs communicate. Coco is, essentially, teaching Lucky a lesson. I do NOT leave them alone together, though. If I ever decide to do so, when Lucky gets older and less annoying, I would still remove all toys from the living space so there won't be anything to fight over.

My ultimate advice -- be patient and understanding when it comes to what your dogs must be feeling. You have introduced a lot of change into the house. But still, be safe. Make sure you never leave the dogs alone together, and make sure you don't let situations escalate to the point where one is giving the other more than just warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. Yes Riyle is a puppy and goes 90mph all the time. Our Jackie has always been laid back. She is not your normal Jack Russell but she did play. I was hoping and praying I can keep these dogs together. I would not leave all three of them alone together. Jack and Jackie we have with no food down and they get along great. But they are both food aggresive so to be sure nothing happens, I won't let it happen.

Thank you so much for the advice. And Jackie, Jack and Riyle thank you also........

Krista

·
Registered
703 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts